What is the status of Cormyr in 5e?

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
So it sounds like if someone has a good collection of 2e and 3e stuff, it's a good alternative to 5e since it reverted a lot of changes...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

As it relates to Cormyr, having a good collection of 2E and 3E books helps to run a campaign there every bit as easily for 4E as for 5E.

Cormyr fared better than a lot if other places in the Realms when it comes to the Spellplague.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As it relates to Cormyr, having a good collection of 2E and 3E books helps to run a campaign there every bit as easily for 4E as for 5E.

Cormyr fared better than a lot if other places in the Realms when it comes to the Spellplague.
Yeah, and I ignored the weird prison city thing. That was a stupid decision.

aco175

Legend
To me, it does seem that 5e tried to bring in (or back) a more dangerous place to adventure in. A lot of the daily magic was gone and protective mythals are gone to make places more dangerous or dark. I see where a lot of the people cowered in the cities over the last 100 years leaving the small towns to fall or struggle to survive where monsters are on the rise.

It makes a better setting to adventure in.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Oddly enought, 4E had all that "Points of Light" pholosophy that 5E FR seems to embrace (even better than 4E)

I think the "even better" part of that is questionable at best, but yes, 4e FR is what made FR a more dangerous place.

Anyway, from the wiki on Wheloon, in answer to your question a couple comments up:

"
Post-Spellplague

Sometime after the Spellplague in 1385 DR, the Purple Dragons determined that a large number of Whelunians were secretly Shar-worshipers, and the current king of Cormyr feared Wheloon was a front for Netherese spies. The king decreed that it be transformed into a prison city, all those inside sealed in by brick and magic and prisoners for life. Suspected worshipers of Shar, Shadovar sympathizers and spies, and any others who offended the crown were put over the wall and left to survive on their own. By 1479 DR, Wheloon was a dark prison city, no longer a trade hub, and the streets were controlled by gangs of thugs."

It's probably the one thing in 4e FR that I just outright said, "No. that didn't happen."

thanson02

Explorer

I would agree for the most part. I would say both Cormyr and the Dalelands did well and are cleaning up after the war and getting back to normal. Sembia on the other hand I think had some if the most drastic changes, at least in the North. It would be interesting to see how relations between them are now. I have not seen anything official.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Al2O3

Explorer
I would agree for the most part. I would say both Cormyr and the Dalelands did well and are cleaning up after the war and getting back to normal. Sembia on the other hand I think had some if the most drastic changes, at least in the North. It would be interesting to see how relations between them are now. I have not seen anything official.

From novels: Cormyr distrust Sembia, but trade has started again. Sembia is looking for status quo ante bellum and blame Shade for everything.

My guesses: The government and society is probably structured whatever way it was pre-spellplauge unless magic was a big part. Lots of rebuilding and trying to regain any former status. Lots of bad and scary stuff happend during Shade, so inhabitants might prefer to try and forget it. Maybe similar to countries that became independent from USSR.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

thanson02

Explorer
From novels: Cormyr distrust Sembia, but trade has started again. Sembia is looking for status quo ante bellum and blame Shade for everything.

My guesses: The government and society is probably structured whatever way it was pre-spellplauge unless magic was a big part. Lots of rebuilding and trying to regain any former status. Lots of bad and scary stuff happend during Shade, so inhabitants might prefer to try and forget it. Maybe similar to countries that became independent from USSR.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app
That would make sense. I know there were dozens of Shadowfell crossovers that were established during the Spellplague. It would take a while to clean a lot of that up and shut them down, assuming that would even be possible. I'm assuming it's possible that they might be doing witch hunts as well for any followers of Shar or anyone who they think might be affiliated with the Shadowfell or shades.

Remove ads