Level Up (A5E) What is the vision of the high level fighter?

Mirtek

Hero
  • The Deadly Fighter - John Wick, et al. The deadly fighter putting a sword through someone kills them dead - and none of this "hit points" nonsense that makes a high level fighter feel like they are wielding boffer swords. Instead what they hit they normally kill (literal gods may be merely discorporated) irrespective of defences, and the trick is delivering the fighter to the target. And they can also do the old AD&D trick of one attack per class level per round against weak foes to thresh their way through minions.
Well, the Deadly Fighter in pop culture action movies is anything but mere human. John Wick pulls superhuman durability feat after another. Same with James Bond, Ethan Hunt , etc.

And that history of ignoring what a human body is capable of withstanding, how fast a human body can recover, the laws of motion, etc. goes way back in movies

That even extends to civilians and other unnamed extras. Even "damsels in distress" display superhuman durabilty that put's Wolverine to shame

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That is also a good idea; a lot of very narrow yet well defined classes could do the trick.
It should be either/or, in my opinion. Lots of specific classes, or a few very broad classes. The general problem with the 5e classes is that they have both broad classes (fighter) and highly specific classes (paladin, druid) with equal representation.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This. 10000 times this.
All characters, no matter the class, should have to spend time, money or other resources to gain the type of power generated by a 6th level spell. A spell slot (and maybe a component) is not, and never will be an high enough cost to justify that type of power.

Have wizards deal with weird and rare reagents, have warlock deal and do a favor for their patron, have the cleric sacrifice or quest for their god in order to gain access to the higher level of magic. If a fighter has to quest or spend a lot of money for access to better weapon/equipment, so should the casters.

yea I’m thinking they never learn teleport or wish or whatever. If they want to cast those spells they need an artifact that allows them to.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I've seen people in forums say fighters do not match the epic fantasy of certain characters like Beowulf, Cu Cuchlain, Sir Lancelot, Hercules, Gilgamesh, etc.

The difference is that the majority of these characters have DM fiat on their side in the forms of blessings, charms, training, and magic items.

If you want a fighter to feature like these characters, you may want to discuss so with your DM.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Giving martial characters more magic item attunements and plot coupons to gain magic items would work wonderfully if it didn't violate the player's base need to avoid metagame mechanics.

Sure but if the wizard needed a staff of teleport to cast the teleport spell I’d say that people would quickly get over that mindset.

at that point the dm would just need to give an equally rare item to his fighter. Things would start to feel a lot better imo.

Remove ads