What is YOUR concept of the fantasy ninja?

What fits YOUR concept of the fantasy ninja?

• 80s moves! Martial arts masters, cool weapons.

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • supernatural powers.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • assassin abilities.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • the real, historical ninja.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • just use a PHB rogue.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • the obligatory "other".

Votes: 9 17.3%

Moulin Rogue

First Post
OA didn't offer a core ninja class because there are just too many conflicting ideas of what a fantasy ninja "should" be (plus the debate of whether or not it should be a core class at all). There are two different ninja PrCs in WotC publications, and Rokugan has a core ninja as well.... but what vision of the ninja carries the most weight in YOUR mind?

(edit: option 1 should say "movies", but I guess "moves" can work too!)

Last edited:

Ruvion

First Post
First of all, I like your name Mouling Rouge...er Rogue! :D

I prefer the historical ninja, but find the OA PrC and the Rokugan core class to be acceptable...A simple rogue is also a good alternative. IMC, the ninjas or guazins as they are called there are usually rogues for reasons of simplicity (exotic flavour added in of course to set them appart from a regular run-of-the-mill thief).

Kage Tenjin

First Post
Any

Any work. The ninja as a character is one of a group, there should be varients of it based upon how the character does what they do. An Arcane Trickster renamed makes a decent ninja class, and contains the thread of training. A simple rogue also works for a specific view of what the ninja does.

My view is influnced by the Complete Ninja's handbook and all of the kits it contained. The fantasy ninja doesn't have to be only one specfic sterotype, nor does it need to do everything anything Ninja-obssed person thinks it should.

80s moves! Martial arts masters, cool weapons.
Monks, Monk/Rogues, Monk/Fighters, Rogue/Fighters

supernatural powers.
Toss in Sorc, you have the supernatural ablities

assassin abilities.
Assassin

the real, historical ninja.
Don't know, Not a student of asian folklore.

just use a PHB rogue.
Works for the rank and file ninja, not too much effort to fill in a clan with these as foot-soldiers (If low level) or Elite Infiltrators(high level.)

eatenmyeyes

First Post
Re: Any

Kage Tenjin said:

the real, historical ninja.
Don't know, Not a student of asian folklore.

The following is a rushed job:

Must have one level of Peasant/Commoner.
4 ranks of Hide, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, and Tumble.
Must be at least two alignment steps from Lord.

Ninja have proficiency with all simple weapons. Kama, Nunchuka, Tonfa, shuriken, and spiked chain(toned down).
Ninja have the Unarmed Fighting feat.

Bonus feats might include Spring Attack, Alertness, Shot on the Run, Mobility, Dodge, Lightning Reflexes and any other feat that would assist with agility or shuriken chucking.

Gez

First Post
Since this thread's twin sister was resurrected, it would be cruel not to reunite the siblings once again. ;)

Remove ads