• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favourite published adventutre? and more important WHY?

Gundark

Explorer
Well these threads on adventures has been interesting, but not all that useful for me. This is because I don't know what the adventure is about, or what makes it good. So I'm asking the question that others have...what is your favourite adventure....and more importnatly, WHY?

For me the adventure X10 Red Arrow Black Shield was IMHO the best ever. It was about an evil cleric raising an army that threated the entire continent. The PCs as diplomats must travel to every nation to gain support for the besieged nation...all the while the clerics diplomats are doing the same. Finally the decision is made to lop the head off the snake and the PCs must gather the pieces of an artifact that is the only known weapon that could defeat the cleric. The PCs must battle the clerics personel division and confron him in his stronghold.

This adventure had it all...diplomacy, intrigue, battles and a final epic battle. I have to say it was awesome..

So why is your favourite adventure your favourite?

Agamon

Adventurer
Easy. L1, The Secret of Bone Hill. I was a young lad when I got my mitts on this mod, and it showed me that adventures need not be linear and that creating an environment with a bunch of different things happening around the party is a lot more fun than leading them by the nose.

On the other hand, UK2/UK3, The Sentinal and The Gauntlet, showed me that a good story can also make for a memorable campaign, so they come second.

I thought Dragon Mountain was ok, mainly because I liked the matrix style of the plot. I also had a good time playing up the NPC Paladin.

I like the 1e classic Quest for the Heartstone too, but that's mostly nostalgia.... I like it from a game design point of view because it is so hard. It sort of defines how I think games should be run. As I often tell players "if it was easy, it wouldn't be an adventure."

I liked Ravenloft too. The maps were very cool. there's a lot to see and do in the castle besides just dealing with the main plot.

Axe of the Dwarvish Lords was real hard too. I actually killed several high level characters with that in the first few rooms of the dungeon. The first three sessions of the campaign involved a lot of rolling up new characters and trying again. Finally they decided to polymorph into goblins and infiltrate the place rather than kick the door in. Once they did that, it was a much more fun adventure.

Last edited:

Patman21967

First Post
Well, I just got the 1981 mod by JG, Treasure Vaults of Lindoran, which is an all time favorite. Probably nostalgic mainly, but there also is some really cool stuff.

I am a huge, huge Rappan Athuk fan. I ran it from beginning to end. A real grinder.

AussieDM

First Post
For OD&D, Keep on the Borderlands and then Isle of Dread where fantastic as a young kid.

Today, I really liked DMing the 2nd of the 3E adventure path series The Silver Forge...

Also, the first Dragon Lance module Dragons of Despair (??) in which that Black Dragon bursts out of the well in the town square...

Staffan

Legend
Dragon's Crown, because it really takes advantage of the specialness of the setting in which it takes place (Dark Sun). Psionic-based plot, man-eating halflings, mad thri-kreen, sorcerer-kings, the Silt sea, ancient fortresses, and so on. Oh, and no mega-dungeons.

Storyteller01

First Post
'What Dreams My Come" by Monkey God publishers. It was the first mystery/diplomacy based adenture that didn't involve a dungeon crawl (there WAS a tower siege :) )

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

The Harrowing from Dungeon 84, that was a great adventure with a nifty concept of Lolths own daughter trying to take her out and become a goddess plus Loveth, Lolths rugrat, was just so cool and brutal at the same time. She really is vile, she kidnaps some poor surface elf slob to boost the power to these four points she created. Make's alliences with some truly evil creatures and she has the ability to single handidly wipe out the party.

One of my all time favs to DM.

Scott

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think I like I6 - Ravenloft best. I learned so much about creating atmosphere and description from that module.

Shadowdancer

First Post
My favorite adventure ever was from Classic Traveller, Twilight's Peak. It was really a mini-campaign. It was a mystery with clues given to the players over a period of time. The adventure's author even suggested/recommended running little side adventures between clues so the players wouldn't start to focus in on the big mystery right away. Then when they did realize all of these clues were pointing to a large mystery, and they began pursuing it, the pace picked up and there were some pretty interesting developments/revelations.

Reading it, and playing it, were very much like a novel or movie. If they ever make a Traveller movie, I hope they use that adventure as the basis. Although it would probably work better as a TV series.

Last edited:

Remove ads