• Hardly ever

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Never. Roleplaying is for £$%&*£’s!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am Tarquin the shady squid

Votes: 2 2.1%

Caliban

Rules Monkey
So still describing firebolt in fantasticle graphic technicolour detail then?

I did this occasionally with a slightly dyslexic sorcerer. I would do a random check to see if the cast Firebolt or mixed up the spell and got "Fire blot" instead. (For him "fire blot" would be the bonfire cantrip.)

I would then describe how he fumbled the spell and it transformed from one to the other mid-casting. Or he would "accidentally" lose control and put to much magical energy into it and Firebolt would become Chromatic Orb (random elemental type) or Scorching Ray. Cause he was a wild mage who could barely control his magic even if he didn't surge.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Roleplaying level? It's over 9000!

Seriously, I love my group. Everyone has strong personalities and motivations. Dialog word choices and vocabulary would immediately tell you what character was talking if it was just transcribed, and for the ones that do it also an accent/way of speaking. Personalities are full-fledged, with flaws as well. We give out little "good RP" bennies and players who have missed the session sometimes still get them because they have such a strong personality that someone chimes in how they would respond to something and we all nod knowingly. We "pose" during combat, describing the attack and effects, and character personality affects tactics. We often do sessions without combat, occasionally with minimal dice roll of any type. We had a memorable session that ended up being nothing but great intra-party RP over a night of watches. Not at all what I had planned for the session but it was great.

As a DM I try to keep up with them and stay in that mode myself.

Okay, we occasionally drop out for rules questions, or to make a geek-joke. But we really stay in character.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Quite often for us. We do like to role play, but we're never so serious about it that we can't also be ourselves with each other while we play. This is a group of all friends, not just people who are together only to play D&D, so that may play into it.

Pretty much the same for my group.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Roleplaying level? It's over 9000!

Seriously, I love my group. Everyone has strong personalities and motivations. Dialog word choices and vocabulary would immediately tell you what character was talking if it was just transcribed, and for the ones that do it also an accent/way of speaking. Personalities are full-fledged, with flaws as well. We give out little "good RP" bennies and players who have missed the session sometimes still get them because they have such a strong personality that someone chimes in how they would respond to something and we all nod knowingly. We "pose" during combat, describing the attack and effects, and character personality affects tactics. We often do sessions without combat, occasionally with minimal dice roll of any type. We had a memorable session that ended up being nothing but great intra-party RP over a night of watches. Not at all what I had planned for the session but it was great.

As a DM I try to keep up with them and stay in that mode myself.

Okay, we occasionally drop out for rules questions, or to make a geek-joke. But we really stay in character.

I believe I am beginning to feel a touch of group envy!

Remove ads