D&D 5E What kind of character would you play?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I've always wanted to play an imp, who has a not-too-bright chain-pact infernal warlock as his devoted henchperson. The imp used to be an archdevil and wants to take over the multiverse, but his only real skills are as a motivational speaker.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Right now I have this concept of a monk who swore vow of silence, I really want to try how would that work.
Would probably be a high elf so I have access to minor illusion (does not have verbal requirement) if I really need to "say" something.

Satyrn

First Post
I've been randomly selecting the race, class and background of my last few characters because, no, there's nothing I'm really itching to play.

aco175

Legend
I'm trying to play 5e with just halfling thieves. I'm on number 4 or 5 right now, but did make a pair of dwarf clerics though to fill roles in a few games. I try to give each a different background and story to make them a bit different.

5ekyu

Hero
I tend to like the characters I play but rarely get yo. I really loved my halfling sorc entertainer but that game closed out about level 3 due to GM malaise.

Sigh. She drank too much, talked too much and was most sure she was right when she had no clue.

I love to GM.

But also to play.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Right now I have this concept of a monk who swore vow of silence, I really want to try how would that work.
Would probably be a high elf so I have access to minor illusion (does not have verbal requirement) if I really need to "say" something.

I have an adventure I'm about to publish on DMsGuild that has a similar character. A bard who was cursed to lose her voice - that cantrip is her primary means of communication.

I

Immortal Sun

@immortal son, I highly recommend the Dex-based Battlemaster for such characters. With Riposte, Parry and Disarm fights felt like a real Swashbuckling affair. I only got to play a little at higher levels, but I put 3 levels into Rogue-Thief and made good use of my Cunning Action to pull rugs out from under people, swing on chandeliers, slide down ballistrades etc. My GM had a liberal view of what constituted the Use Item action.

That's usually what I do. Rogue 1-3, Battlemaster Fighter 5+. But I never got past level 5 (starting at 3) in my attempts to play said characters before.

Shiroiken

Legend
I've gotten a chance to play most of my current concepts (however short lived they might have been), but my current idea for a character would require both fairly good rolls (or point buy) and some DM leeway.

Mountain Dwarf Acolyte Level 3 Lawful Divine Soul Sorcerer
Mountain Dwarf grants medium armor and war hammer proficiency (used 2 handed)
Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Green Flame Blade, Guidance, Word of Radiance
Lv 1: Absorb Elements, Bless, Shield, Healing Word
Lv 2: Misty Step

The concept is Thor from Thor:Rangnork. Totally believes he's the son of Dumadoin (God of Secrets Under the Mountain) and that he's the wielder of the Mountain's Fire (hence fire/radiant based spells). He aims his hammer to throw a Fire Bolt, holds it aloft for Word of Radiance, twirls it to block weapons with Shield and energy attacks with Absorb Elements. He believes he can fly short distances with the hammer with Misty Step (even though he doesn't). The DM would be given full reign to determine how much he believes is true and how much is totally bogus.

Character downside is that it's totally MAD. Need Cha and Str for combat, as well as Con and Dex to stay alive. Works moderately well with point buy, leaving Int and Wis at 8, but our group normally rolls (and I can't roll worth a damn).

Remove ads