D&D 5E What locations would you suggest for a mideval fantasy world?

I'm seriously liking the idea of Godwine Blade being the McGuffin that ended up seeking them out.

Technically if they use it in public, it's a death penalty, but they can get it concentrated as they go around, but it's an intelligent item that the party must 1. either be worthy to use or 2. find somebody who is.

It also won't shut up and is possibly a playable PC if I can figure it out.

A few other thoughts.

1. People aren't born in this world. They undertake trials that cause them to have a baby dropped off at their home through magical means (possibly a stork). This allows 1. women to not have to go through the trials and tribulations of child birth and instead have to be big damn adventurers at a certain age and 2. to allow the possibility of all sorts of people to be kin. I'm kinda going for that multicultural village feel you got from Xena.

2. Dwarves' duty is to act as a trial keeper. Trial caves abound in this world <which explains the dungeons in the world>. They are often hermits and of stupidly high levels. However, before they settle down into acting as trial keepers, they need to earn the right to do so and that's why they go adventuring. Either that or failed their trials and now have to wander the earth.

3. Relics are common in this world. If you have done big enough deeds, your very body is magical from your actions. As a result, the honored dead can act as a power supply for magical energy. This energy primarily is stored in the skull, but other body parts may have specific effects.

This also explains a species that I definitely see in the world: the talking skeleton. In a lot of medieval tales, people consult with them to discuss the afterlife. So some people's adventuring careers start when they die.

4. Goliaths are essentially reskinned Necrophim that survived the last destruction of the planet.

5. Man reading the Canturbury tales. What got me is how many Greek/Roman References there were in the poetry. I'm seriously not sure how much I should even use for it. Open to suggestions.

Still have no idea about Gnomes and Halflings, as well as the half-<whatever>.

Other inspirations
Grailquest <these gamebooks are the best version of the Arthurian tales that aren't done by Monty python. it's got the right feel as you play pip, a pig farmer with a magic sword, that ends up in bizarre locations. Plus there are several villages throughout the books to crib from. I might tone down the humor, but don't be surprised if a crazy situation shows up>.
Rifts Wormwood (although it won't be as hellish, it's definitely a time of trials and I'm seeing the world being a symbiotic organism of some sort).
Robin Hood (this is a big duh when I realized where I got the idea from)
Tony Robinson's worst jobs in history.

This also allows me to dust off this old favorite (and where Morimoto got the idea of the party game).
looking forward to having a barrel hill in the game. :D

How's that?

Last edited:

Remove ads