D&D 5E What Main Themes Would You Want a New Official Setting to Focus On?

What Main Theme(s) Would You Want a New Official World to Focus On? (choose up to 3)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
You don't need a whole setting, but more use of rival adventuring parties would be nice. Your party is the only one working their way up the level food chain? Occasional attacks by rival groups of 4-5 characters eager for magic items would be amusing.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'd like to see support for modern settings.
And while it's not something I'm fond of, I wouldn't be surprised to that presented as supers or something.

You don't need a whole setting, but more use of rival adventuring parties would be nice. Your party is the only one working their way up the level food chain? Occasional attacks by rival groups of 4-5 characters eager for magic items would be amusing.
Do you need a book to allow you to do this?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Voted: Futuristic, High Magic, and "There Are Heroes" (what I would just call "Heroic").

We have a high-magic urban fantasy setting: Eberron. We have plenty of "no-heroes" options (Ravenloft and Dark Sun come to mind). We have post-apocalypse covered by Dark Sun. In fact, pretty much everything on the list is already well-covered except Futuristic.

I want a science-fantasy setting, a world where Magic is one of the fundamental Sciences alongside Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. A setting where elder dragons might rule planets, where an ancient colony ship from a race long thought extinct can crash-land on a planet's surface and begin their recovery. Where people would make comparisons to the Mos Eisley Cantina positively, because "wow, now I finally get to PLAY in one!" rather than derisively because it doesn't fit their ultra-rigid conception of what fantasy is allowed to be.

We don't have that yet. Planescape and Spelljammer won't provide it, either. I want something that's in the vein of Shadowrun, but more advanced tech. Where it's valid to have Clone Trooper as a background or to be a Circle of the Webcrawler Druid.

Ixal

Hero
I voted:

Mirror world: Just in the hopes that it will cause to be more detailed and include themes usually not found in high fantasy like a more detailed feudal system instead of pseudo nation states

World with Heroes: Because it just makes sense that there would be more adventurers, mercenaries and fortune hunters than just the PCs and I generally dislike the PCs as superspecial chosen ones trope.

No other Planes: Because I would rather see all creative juice being focused on the main world instead of it spread around multiple planes.

Thunder Brother

God Learner
any ideas on the twists for the setting as just strait pirates would seem odd.
I think if you go full water world you can get some really interesting twists beyond "fantasy Caribbean"; ship cities, living islands, merfolk kingdoms, etc. Take every nautical trope from the Odyssey to Horatio Hornblower and smash them all together and I think you could have something cool.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases