• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Makes a Convention Game Great?

Clefton Twain

First Post
Aw man, I'm jealous. Last year was the first time I was able to attend GenCon and I played in Piratecat's Eversink game. Had a *ton* of fun. One of my few goals for GenCon this year was to play in his game but, alas, I had to miss out on GenCon altogether. :(

I think the DM has the overall say as to how memorable the game is but the players have the power to make it memorable in either a good way or a bad way.

--CT

CarlZog

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Design narrow-wide=narrow. I write my games to be linear at the beginning, moderately linear at the end (in that they usually lead to an anticipated big climax), and totally open to different strategies in the middle. It seems to work pretty well; it allows free choice for most of the game, and still delivers a cool finish.

Kevin, I find this to be one of the most impressive aspects of your games and the element I have the toughest time with.

How do you keep the middle open, and still ensure that the PCs get roughly where you want them at endgame?

Carl

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Carl, let's run through the basic outline of that MnM game.

Beginning: narrow.

I start with all seven PCs facing one another in a late night meeting at a restaurant. I don't care about how they got there, because I want to dive immediately into roleplaying. Unless they want to turn around and leave or immediately start a fight, they really don't have much choice but to start roleplaying - and I've written the character sheets so that they'll want to do so.

After 15-20 minutes of talking and roleplaying, just as the talk starts to slow down a tiny bit, I hit them with enemies smashing through the roof to arrest them. This is also narrow; by definition, it occurs either just before the group plans to leave the restaurant, or just before the game bogs down.

The fight is exciting, as there are a lot of hazards (falling off a 120 story building, for one), and NPCs in the fight supply them with crucial information to drive the plot. After the fight is over, I shunt them away by raising the threat of many more enemies arriving in less than a minute - time to escape and make their plans.

Middle - wide.

The PCs are superheroes, so they can go virtually anywhere to make their plans. Also, their plans may be remarkably varied. That's cool - I'll let them retreat to someone's secret lair and figure out tactics, or teleport to a peaceful desert island, or whatever they like. I'll feed them information that affects these tactics, and let them come up with a strategy that negates their opponent's big advantage. (Hopefully, this strategy involves super-science!) This is also a time for role-playing, and more character secrets come to light.

In truth, the only things that are relevant here is exactly how their actions affect the final encounter. They may do things that make this final encounter easier or more difficult (probably involving an orbital space laser), but they know where their foe is. I introduce her secret plan and the serious time pressure that comes with it; during this stage the PCs discover that they only have a few hours to get ready. This stage ends when they attack the villain's complex, in whatever manner they think is most efficient. They can do whatever they want until that time runs out.

End - narrow

My mental image of the villain's complex has only 3 or 4 known areas in it (with a few more that can be added on a whim), and they're all connected serendipitously. In other words, the areas are where they need to be physically at the encounter's start. If I want the PCs to see the biolab first, then they'll blunder into it whether or not they enter from the front entrance, the rear entrance, or through burrowing. I'll provide a flavor combat challenge between the biolab and the Hall of Ego, and the rest of the main fight takes place where I expect it to (unless the PCs do something clever to move it.)

It's important to note that there are definitely penalties for losing or not stopping the villain by the known deadline. The PCs can fail. But I've made it most likely that the final encounter will occur in a known cool location, and the middle part of the adventure just makes that final encounter (and the final outcome) easier or harder.

I'll also point out that "narrow-wide-narrow" is especially well suited to high level adventures, although that last "narrow" might get hijacked! That's because with high lvl D&D, you never know how they're going to get someplace, you only can figure that they will.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer

Tuck into Google Notebook.

Thanks guys for your input.

I second a few of those points first hand. I like replaying the same adventure; it made my T20 adventure a few years back go rather well. I can also verify by painful experience this year, you really want to have a default equipment list on hand (a prior experience led me astray on this point...)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Psion said:
I can also verify by painful experience this year, you really want to have a default equipment list on hand (a prior experience led me astray on this point...)
Yup, every Spycraft game I've been in that required gearing up has been stalled for 2 hours of non-fun gameplay. It's my one beef with the system.

The_Universe

First Post
Excellent advice!

The only thing I can add is to be prepared for player-sponsored derails. For all your planning, they will do something that you are either completely unprepared for. To players, your "obviously insurmountable plot device" may appear to be the "obvious tool for victory," or a "frickin' awesome thing that they want to use," rather than flee from. Be prepared to let the game take a slightly different direction if you must, or, alternatively, have something on hand that can indicate to your players what type of encounter you really intend it to be. Also, since it's a one-time game, don't be afraid to be a little less subtle with hints than you normally would be - if it's unbeatable, its permissable to let the PCs know.

Why am I posting this, when you're sitting literally 4 feet from me?

I want to subscribe to this thread... ;)

The_Universe

First Post
I just thought of another one - "show off" the system you're using. Make sure, if you're running D&D, to include sword-fights, traps, and magic. If it's D20 Modern, make guns, cars, and other unique accoutrements a major part of the game. For Mutants and Masterminds, make sure there are interesting super powers, etc.

In short - really play to the "stereotypes" of whatever system you're going use; there's no reason to play against the system when you only have 4-5 hours.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Some great stuff here, PC. Much of this advice is useful for running games in general, not just for con games.

But you forgot to mention the part about how to make little girls cry.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Excellent point about showing off the system; that's a great thing to do, and awfully important. Stress what makes the system fun. I'll never run a Feng Shui game that involves no combat.

JoeBlank said:
But you forgot to mention the part about how to make little girls cry.
Kill their characters with mind flayers! Bwah ha ha ha ha!

Remove ads