What makes a good map good?

On drawing maps in general

Black and white tends to be the most readable for a map. And especially if you're prone to printing a lot of your maps, black and white is certainly something to consider (it is cheaper to print). Also take into account the amount of black on the map, if you intend to print it. On the other hand, color looks better. So there is not definitive answer here. It is a matter of taste.

In regards to how the map is drawn, make sure that your players can easily tell the floors and walls apart. There is a tendency for DM's to apply fancy floor textures when using map creation software. But if the map ends up being less readable because of it, then consider just making the floor and wall a single color. It should be clear if a flight of stairs leads up or down, height differences need to be clearly indicated (you can write the height on the map), and preferably the direction in which doors open should also be clear (although I don't find this as important as the other points).

When using symbols on your map, make sure they clearly communicate their information, and make sure they are not too abstract to understand for your players. If both the DM and the players are using the same map, consider how to hide secret stuff from your players. You can use letters of the alfabet to mark important locations, without spoiling the surprise for your players. You can use sheets of paper to cover up unexplored areas and secret rooms.

Most importantly though, make sure your map is clearly readable. It is nice if it looks pretty, but I'll take a simple looking map over a pretty map that is unclear any day.

Most of the other points are basically how to make a good dungeon. But I suppose they are also good advise for drawing maps of those dungeons:

Lay out

In regards to the lay out, less is more. Resist the temptation to make huge mazes full of dead ends and empty rooms. Instead, pack your map with content and leave out the rest. Yes, you can still have rooms that provide a break for your players. But try to only include meaningful content.

Descriptions
This is more advise for people who design maps for adventure modules, but when you describe a room, make sure the description takes into account the direction the players are coming from. A direction of 'north' may have no meaning to the players, especially if the thing in question happens to be to their right. In such cases, just say it is to their right. Also, don't describe things not indicated on the map, or leave out important things that are. In your description, start with the most important information up front: Type of room, size, shape, and where the doors are... and maybe mention the giant dragon too. All the other details are less important. Also, too much information at once, means your players will be asking you to repeat a lot of information to them. Keep it simple.

Theme and setting
Use a strong theme and setting! A theme goes a long way in making a map interesting, and helps you fill the map with spaces that have a logical purpose. A theme can be "water", or "climbing", or "lava". Perhaps a river flows all the way through the map, and the players have to deal with this obstacle multiple times a they navigate the area. A setting for the map, basically defines what it is. Is it an old cathedral? A abandoned mining facility? A temple of a cult? The inside of a volcano?

Branching paths
Choices are good. Provide branching paths, and make each path unique in some way. As with most things in life, don't overdo it. Too many branching paths means the players may end up skipping half the map. Consider having branching paths looping back towards the same final location, so players can't miss a crucial objective. Consider how much of the map is skippable, and if you're making efficient use of the playable space. As a general rule, I try to steer my players along all the big moments on the map, regardless which route they pick. I don't like wasting content.

Content
You can have more than just monsters, traps and treasure in your dungeon! Dungeons are a way to tell a story. You can include lore, puzzles, npc's, secrets, natural obstacles and skill challenges. Be sure to also include a secret passage and a trap or two, so players that have specialized in those things don't feel useless. There is more to consider in map design than just the combat and loot. Players want to have a variety of stuff to do. A bridge may have collapsed, requiring the players to jump to the other side, or to shimmy along a ledge. Certain passages may be out of reach, requiring them to climb. Some passages may be flooded, requiring them to swim and hold their breath.

Height
Height differences are a feature that is often overlooked by map designers. And yet it adds so much to the map. It can make a map both more believable and strategically more interesting. Combat encounters benefit a lot from having height differences. Stuff like higher ground is fantastic, especially when ranged combat is involved. Tunnels on a map can also overlap each other, creating far more exciting mazes. Balconies can make combat more interesting, and maps can have multiple floors (sometimes stacked directly on top of each other).
When drawing a map with height differences, consider how to clearly indicate multiple floors, and how they connect with each other. Likewise, when a room features some kind of overhanging feature, consider how to let your players know that they can stand beneath it. If you use miniatures/pawns, this becomes extra important in regards to positioning.

Looks, dressing, hub-areas and landmarks
Maps should be more than just empty tunnels. A good map has lots of (dungeon) furniture. These not only dress the map, but also provide objects for the players to interact with. If the players want to barricade a door, it helps if there are tables and chairs nearby to do that with. If the players want to hide from monsters, maybe there's a tomb they can hide in. I try to include at least 1 or 2 landmarks on the map. A landmark is an important feature in the dungeon that dominates the design of the map, and makes it easier for the players to navigate it. You may also want to consider the use of a hub-area, that the players pass through multiple times as they explore the map.

Lastly:
And in case I didn't mention it enough yet, use water! While it may not fit every map, if you can, throw in some areas where swimming and/or diving is required., then please do so. Good maps tend to be all about interesting movement, wether that be swimming, climbing or jumping.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Thinking back, one of the absolutely most memorable dungeons I can think of is The Lost City for Basic D&D. On one of the levels (it's been a long time since I looked at this module, so, details escape me), in the center of the level, you have a circular room with a tunnel bisecting the circle. In the tunnel, you have a variety of glyphs that allow you to spin the tunnel and thus access another part of the dungeon. It was a really cool idea that just always stuck in my head.

Remove ads