What Makes DnD Fun For You?

Moon-Lancer

First Post
3d6 said:
I'd agree with new spell levels. What class other than wizard offers so many class features to choose from, and so frequently?

druid?

anyway, "Is it gaining levels? Gaining Feats? Gaining extra Actions a round?"

I like making characters that get most of thier abilities in the sweet spot, and i like to play in the sweet spot, so while I like gaining feats and new abilities, I also like staying around level 8 or 9. They are at odds with eachother, i know. I really like seeing how much I can do with so little. People say fighters archtypes are boring so I have really enjoyed making a dervish with levels in fighter monk and barbarian. I have really enjoyed making a character that gets many oot while at the same time, gets benefits from provoking attacks of opportunity.

I also like Getting items that while not powerfull, become powerfull based on its use.

In another game while playing a not so interesting fighter, I had a lot of time using tactics with towershields and readied actions. It was funny to see him metagame and cheat after that to keep up

phindar

First Post
Mechanically, its imagining a character, and then building that character within the system to be able to do exactly what I think he should be able to do. (Sometimes, advancement can get in the way of that.)

frankthedm

First Post
JA_Reave said:
As a player, what part of DnD is most fun for you? Specifically, what parts of the characters and their advancement is most fun for you?
The Monsters that stop the character's advancment in lethal ways.

Dragon Snack

First Post
phindar said:
Mechanically, its imagining a character, and then building that character within the system to be able to do exactly what I think he should be able to do. (Sometimes, advancement can get in the way of that.)
Thirded.

DreadArchon

First Post
Quirky abilities and building a character around a story concept. (E.g. "I want to be the guy with wings" or "I want to be a Necromancer Bard.")

robberbaron

First Post
phindar said:

Fourthed, though I also agree with nute and darklone.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I don't think it is the mechanics at all that make it fun, although I will admit to enjoying the plethora of base classes and PrCs. I also like spells.

However, for me the fun of D&D is seeing how the story changes my initial character concept. That's actually what I love about writing my fictional Story Hours. In the beginning all I have is a vague idea of what the characters' personalities are like in addition to their character sheet and a general story line. But, as I write (in the case of my Story hours) or tell the story (in the case of PbP or FtF games) things change unexpectedly.

That's what I most love about D&D. You can plan, but the story always has more to say about your character than your character has to say about the story. That is what always calls me back to the next session (PbP or FtF) or udate (Story Hours).

Remove ads