• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What makes Dungeons & Dragons "Dungeons & Dragons?"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would argue that it would need the Fighter/Cleric/Thief/Wizard. Without those I think you'd alienate a lot.
The original game didn't have the Thief (by any name), and some OSR games follow that lead. Even though it's not my preferred edition, I'd have to say that OD&D surely must qualify as Dungeons & Dragons, no?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
My suggestions:

1) Armor Class
2) Hit Points
3) Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma (not necessarily in that order)
4) Level-based characters
5) Class-based characters
6) Funny races available (but not mandatory)
7) Rigidly defined supernatural powers (magic, psionics, etc.)
8) A fantasy milieu
9) Random chance determined by at least the representation of funny dice

I would say this list but in a different order, in that I would put the initial list AC, HP, Levels, Classes and consider the rest optional except 9 which has to be there.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This is getting into Potter Stewart territory, but I think there are a lot of things that aren't individually required, but are needed in some numbers to sustain the D&D feel.
I don't think that's Potter Stewart territory. "You must have X choices of the Y entries on this list to still feel like D&D to (almost) everyone" is a pretty reasonable meta-criterion, IMO. The question then becomes what's on the list and how much of it has to show up to qualify.

Klaus

First Post
My suggestions:

1) Armor Class
2) Hit Points
3) Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma (not necessarily in that order)
4) Level-based characters
5) Class-based characters
6) Funny races available (but not mandatory)
7) Rigidly defined supernatural powers (magic, psionics, etc.)
8) A fantasy milieu
9) Random chance determined by at least the representation of funny dice
This pretty much covers it for me, as well.

Mercutio01

First Post
  • Fantasy
  • Uses all the regular polyhedrals (d4 through d20) with d20 as the primary die for determining To-Hit
  • Vancian Magic
  • Level advancement / experience points
  • Races
  • A mostly even split between combat and roleplaying
  • An armor class mechanic of some kind
  • Dungeons
  • Dragons
  • STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA

[sblock]Things I could do without and still call it D&D.
  • Classes - I could deal with (and would actually prefer) a classless system with some sort of "preset" for abilities/skills/feats/proficiencies/whatever-you-want-to-call-it to guide creating a "class."
  • Alignment
  • Hit Points
  • Ability Scores - Keep the modifier and drop the score
[/sblock]

Mercutio01

First Post
Mercutio, would you consider True20/Blue Rose to be Dungeons & Dragons? It gets rid of a lot of the stuff you say you could live without.

Nope.

See -- "Uses all the regular polyhedrals (d4 through d20) with d20 as the primary die for determining To-Hit"
See -- "Vancian Magic"
See -- "experience points"

Those are not options for me. I mean, I like the true20 engine (I'm a fan of M&M which is pretty close), but it's not D&D.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Wow, 7 whole posts before someone singled out 4e as 'not D&D' - predictable, but still disappointing.

Mr. Dustyboots' list is pretty good, but I can deal without #6, depending on the campaign, and #7 I can see being optional as well (though I prefer it).

I would be tempted to add 'iconic brand identity' - but it might still work without it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads