D&D 5E What makes your homebrew setting special?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The setting I'm creating isn't beholden to just medieval Europe/Middle East for its main countries and cultures. There are no elemental, astral, nor (accessible) outer planes—there is only an amalgamation of the Feywild/Shadowfell/Ethereal. The gods may or may not be real (from an in-character perspective)—if they are real they don't certainly don't engage in behavior such as those in FR, DL, etc. There more types of religions than the standard D&D polytheism. There is at least one humanoid nation (ruled by hobgoblins). I'm trying to give all the races in the PHB (plus a few others) a place in the setting in which they fit in organically. High elves and dwarves are friendly towards each other. Drow are somewhat different, don't worship Lolth, have a spider fetish, shop at Hot Topic, or default to Evile(tm)—though that still strongly hate other elves.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The World of Orea is a homebrew setting evolved through decades of development and play.

The known continent is home to at least a half dozen distinct and varied human cultures and realms. Multiple known (and a few yet unknown or believed myth) demihuman and humanoid realms of various size political and military power and/or threat. Analogues of most fantastical realms are to be found from Arthurian romantic chivalry to the mystic lands of the wizard-emperor, the wild north of the barbarian clans to the tropical south of the remnant-empire of dark-skinned mariners, Celtic-style verdant dwindling realm of elf-descended noble lords to the pharaonic Mesopotamian-style ziggurat-cities of sorcerer-sultans who rule the hidden trade routes of the shifting sands.

In addition to multiple thousands of miles of coastlines, mountains, forests, pastoral fields and hills with spired citadels, ancestral fortresses, and cosmopolitan centers of trade and arcanademic advancement, the continent houses a massive desert, desolate wastelands, and dark cursed realms long abandoned to evil.

Orea is home to layer upon layer of lost, forgotten, and/or legendary treasures and dangers built up over its long history of ancient kingdoms and empires of dragons, titans/giants, elves, dwarves, monsters, and men. The rise and fall of creatures of dazzling ferocity and heroes of terrible beauty have filled the Histories (with great sections lost or incomplete) for millennia.

From the failing monarchies to rising republics, corrupted temple hierarchies to ascendant cult movements, village elders, local mayors or cruel feudal lords, ruthless merchant guilds, and mysterious mage councils, just about any form of government can be found with any level of intrigue or politics needed or desired.

While there is a lot of magic and "high fantasy" elements, it falls short of the "magi-tech" commonality of, say, an Eberron or the "magic item shop" style of play. The very powerful stuff (and persons) are generally few and far between, known through reputation or infamy -if not legend or song, and/or kept well-hidden and/or guarded. Certain realms and areas of the continent are more or less magical than others and the great desert, in particular, is a region known for the erratic or unstable nature of the magic that fills it.

In addition to the 6 or 8 human cultures, there are significant numbers -if not separate realms/population centers for: elf, dwarf, daelvar (Orean halflings). Followed by a suitable commonality (enough to allow for PCs) of gnomes, half-elves, and centaurs. With rarities or singular known areas of (sometimes allowed): winged humanoids, werebears, grassland roaming felinoids, or sprites.

A pantheon of deities spanning generations of divine entities [currently ruled by Astar, the Celestial Sovereign, god of civilization, light, and the forces of Good and Order] oversees the smooth functioning and general protection of the cosmological and physical elements and ideals of Orea's existence, but is divinely prohibited from direct involvement or manifestation. Naturally, a cadre of evil deities [under the control, direction, or begrudgingly accepted "rule" of Karos, the Chaosbringer, god of destruction, demons, and the forces of Evil and Chaos] are always looking for -and finding- loopholes through which to infiltrate the world for their own nefarious motives.

Adventure, fame, and riches on as large or small a scale as you wish, renown and heroism in the local, regional, or global [or interplanar] realms is yours for the taking...if you can survive the World of Orea.

Last edited:

redrick

First Post
Lots of the NPCs speak with Russian accents.

Most gaming in my home-brew tends to be low-level, so things tend to stay local. I don't have a deeply complex lore. I also tend to make adjustments to it every time I use it. I think of it more as the group of assumptions I use when I run an adventure or campaign with a new group, but I might adjust a lot of the bigger picture lore to suit the needs of a given group or adventure. Most of that stuff is just for me in my head, anyway.

I've been on an underground river kick for the last year, so a sort of underdark river system tends to be a constant feature. Right now, I'm using a town situated on cliffs 1000 feet over sea-level, with ancient river ports carved out of sea caves down below. I love the idea of galleys plying the waters deep beneath the earth.

What little history I have tends to talk about a gods' war, though different games have different versions. I draw a lot of inspiration from the gods' war in N.K. Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy. Three gods, one in chains, one practically dead, one supreme. Her storylines are too high fantasy for the kind of D&D I want to run, but her world building is top notch.

Ultimately, I like my home-brew because everything is where I put it and where I want it. It doesn't have the richness and inventiveness that some published settings can have — coming up with ideas as I go means I'm more likely to fall back on tried and true tropes — but it's perfectly suited to my needs. And I can close my eyes and imagine myself in my own world in a way that I never could in the Forgotten Realms or Mystara.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Steeldragon's World of Orea Pantheon
(As a general rule, though exceptions certainly happen, Clerics of a particular deity are almost always the same as the deity's alignment but may be within one step away on either the ethos [L/N/C] or moral [G/N/E] continuum, but not both.)

[EDIT] It should also be noted that this pantheon is not universally accepted or revered in all areas of Orea. Some religions and/or deities are held in higher regard in some realms than others. Some religions are interested in subsuming -or annihilating- others. Also, in many cases, different cultures (and species) have different names and/or titles for the same entity. Astar, the Celestial Sovereign, "King of the Gods" in the kingdom of Grinlia, is hailed in the desert empire of Thel as the supreme divinity, "Arsha." Theli religion accepts a host of additional lesser deities, demons, and divine entities (none of whom bear the names listed below), though only 4 are collectively worshiped (as the secondarily most powerful) in the hopes they will then entreat Arsha -who is so great [it is believed in Theli religious mythology] as to be beyond interaction with mortals- on one's behalf. Whether or not the Gorunduun clans' totemic spirit-animals are, in fact, animistic aspects of these deities or their own spiritual entity is a matter of sparkling debate among priests and sages of spirituality. And so forth.

For another [cross-species] example, the mining & smith god, Dunric is widely revered by human commoners and non-agrarian laborers of all sorts, but doesn't hold a particularly high position in the hierarchy -either celestial or worldly political influence- of the larger churches. Among dwarves, however, where he is called "Duor, the Great Hammer," he is among their top three most powerful and revered. For gnomes, he appears in the aspect of "Gnizberlious," a jeweler and silversmith of the highest skill, producing potent magical devices of unearthly beauty. Again, one of gnomes' most revered deities (though they have very few).

The reverse is true for the mighty goddess of life and healing, Gilea. In multiple human cultures, Gilea's temple is one of the largest and most widespread. The Sacred Daughters of Gilea (yes, an all female order) are recognized -and valued- the world over for their healing magics. Her church's more martial branch, the Whitethorn Protectresses, [devoted to Gilea and Physha of the Flaming Hair] are the woe of many an evil. Among the daelvar, Gilea is relegated to a secondary role behind their primary matron, the Hillmother, Faerantha (an aspect, it is believed by some, of a halfling incarnation of Sylari). For daelvar, she is "Gaela/Auntie Gaela" - Faerantha's sister, in their mythology - a lesser goddess of the hearth and home who, like her human aspect, also handles such areas as herbalism/medicine and midwifery.

So, while this is a lengthy list, it is by no means complete nor intended to be read as a singular worldwide universally accepted group.[/EDIT]

Aishapra: LE, Demi-god; the Scourge, the Demon Godson.
Portfolio: alleged son of Karos, dark magic, use of magic for evil purposes, conquest, treachery.

Arinane: NG, Elder goddess; Mother of Stars [/the Gods], the Night Queen, the Silver Moon.
Portfolio: the silver/"greater" moon (larger of Orea's 2 moons), the night sky and stars, astrology/astronomy, protection at night, revelations, also often associated and attributed with power over sleep and dreams. (one of the few entities revered by elves)

Astar: LG, Greater god; the Celestial Sovereign, King of the Gods & God of Kings, the Shining Knight, the North Star.
Portfolio: civilization, law, justice, benevolent rulership, light, the general forces of Good and Order.
*Paladinic order available, the Celestiens, must be LG or LN.

Bentier: LN, Lesser goddess; the Holy Enforcer, the Silver Scales.
Portfolio: Law and justice in the formal Legal/Criminal Justice system sense, Truth, judgement, fair dealings, also associated with trade.
* Paladinic order available, the Bentieri [Justiciars], must be LN.

Bysdan: CN, Lesser god; Minstrel of the Gods, the Twilight Prince, the Copper Bard.
Portfolio: Music (particularly stringed instruments, primarily the lap harp) & song, revelry, trickery, cleverness, patron of bards, and the season of autumn (a major deity among satyrs, gnomes, and daelvar).

Celradorn: LG, Greater god; the Golden Defender, the Lightlance, the Crimson Star.
Portfolio: Battle skill, guardianship, protection, integrity & honor, the red star, sometimes associated with lightning/thunderstorms.
*Paladinic order available, the Redstar Knights, must be LG.

Desri: N, Elder goddess; the Grey Lady, Judge of Souls.
Portfolio: Death, judgement of souls, prophecy, wisdom, sometimes associated with the passage and keeping of Time, and believed to hold some sway over one's fate.

Djarthoon: LE, Greater goddess; the Temptress, Mother of Monsters.
Portfolio: corruption, temptation, the creation of numerous monstrous beings and chimeric creatures, also associated with nightmares (the corruption of Arinane's dreams).

Doam: LE, Lesser god; the Dark Lord, the Black Knight.
Portfolio: power, supremacy.
*Paladinic Order available, the Iron Gauntlets, must be LE.

Dunric: N, Lesser god; Smith of the Gods, the Divine Artisan, the Earth Lord.
Portfolio: blacksmithing, masonry, mining and metallurgy, engineering and invention, craftsmanship in general, crafts of all kinds including the distilling of alcohol, sometimes associated with mountains and the general element of Earth/Stone.

Endore: NE, Lesser goddess; the Plague Mistress.
Portfolio: disease, decay, the undead, poison, also associated with swamps, hags, and evil witches.

Faerantha: NG, Lesser goddess; the Hill Mother, the Holy Matron. (worshiped by daelvar only)
Portfolio: the "Mother Nature" goddess figure of the daelvar (halflings), matron of the [small] divine clan of halfling deities, creator, protector, and final arbiter of all elements of daelvar life.

Gilea: LG, Greater goddess; the Merciful Mother, the White Rose.
Portfolio: Life, healing and the healing arts, compassion, fortitude (particularly in the face of adversity), also associated with midwifery and motherhood.

Goran: CE, Greater god; the Marauder, the Dripping Blade.
Portfolio: war, murder, violent death, violence in general, bloodlust, ferocity, a favorite deity among orcs.

Irion: CG, Greater god; the Crusader, the Questing Knight.
Portfolio: the sun, the day, traveling and travelers, specifically the protection of travelers, the active destruction of darkness and evil (especially anything undead).

Jasralne: CN, Lesser goddess; Magnificata, the Spring Maiden.
Portfolio: Love, beauty, dance & the visual arts, and the season of spring.

Karos: CN, Elder god; the Chaosbringer, the Burning One, the Demonlord.
Portfolio: destruction, demons, the element of fire in its the destructive uses, the forces of Evil and Chaos.

Manat: N, Greater goddess; the Blue Star.
Portfolio: Arcane Magic, the study/pursuit of wizardry, and all related topics/areas of study.

Physha: LG, Demi-goddess; of the Flaming Hair, the Whitethorn, the First Protectress.
Portfolio: Sainted Daughter [priestess] of Gilea, purity in one's ideals and the courage to defend them, patron of the warrior-priestess branch of Gilea's church [generally pacifist healers] -the Protectresses.

Saeanni Thallaii
(say-AH-nee tall-AY-ee): NG, Lesser goddess; the Bright Wind, Queen of Air, the Lady of the Mist (worshiped by elves, daelvar, and zepharim only)
Portfolio: the element of air, wind, clouds, rainbows, weather and light to a lesser extent, also associated with magic use to specifically produce/influence air/weather and illusion.
Unique to the typically irreligious elves of Miralosta (and especially popular among their ShiCynallae cousins) is a devout following for this particularly magical goddess of air and weather. While Arinane, Sorilore, and other deities for areas of elvish interest elicit reverence and/or may attract small enclaves or individual devotees, Saeanni Thallaii is a distinctly elvish entity, believed by some to be an avatar of magic or a noble elemental. Others say she was a mythic elvish sorceress who ascended to divinity. Whatever her origins, Saeanni Thallaii enjoys a near universal reverence among good and neutral elves with a structured religious hierarchy throughout Miralosta and clerics found in many other elfin realms. She also counts among her worshipers most of the winged zepharim and some daelvar (usually those living in close proximity to elves). The latter entreating Saeanni as a specific weather deity to benefit their agriculture (in concert with Faerantha, of course).

Seris: NE, Lesser god; the Shadow Lord.
Portfolio: shadows, spying, greed, self-interest, patron of evil thieves and assassins, also often associated with serpents.

Sorilore: N, Elder god; the All Knowing, Scribe of the Gods, the Emerald Eye [/Moon].
Portfolio: Knowledge, history, language & writing, the mind, the green/"lesser" moon (Orea's smaller moon), inspiration, and said to be the source/cause and patron of psychic powers.

Syar: CG, Lesser god; the Stag Lord, the Green Horn, the Summer Prince.
Portfolio: forests/woodlands, animals, untamed nature, the hunt, woodcraft, also associated with fertility, patron of rangers, hunters, and those who make their lives in/around forests, and the season of summer.

Sylari: NG, Greater goddess; the Green & Gold, the Harvest Queen, Mother of Seasons.
Portfolio: nature -particularly the beneficial aspects, useful or cultivated nature, agriculture, growth (in general), also associated with weather (though along the coasts and at sea her sister Tyris holds the reins).

Than: NG, Demi-god; the Red Falcon.
Portfolio: half-mortal (now ascended) son of Celradorn, valor, honor, physical strength, patron of swordsmen and heroes.

Toralon Kor: LG, Greater god; the Great Anvil, the Thundering Mountain. (worshiped by dwarves only)
Portfolio: the "All Father" figure of dwarves, dwarven law, dwarf-kind, and greatest in all things dwarf.

Tyris: CG, Greater goddess; Lady of Seas & Storms, the Deep.
Portfolio: the Seas, the coastlines (particularly coastal and marine weather), the element of water in general, marine/aquatic creatures, hidden deeps/guarded information, patron of fishermen and sailors.

Wyslia: CE, Lesser goddess; the Weeping One, the Winter Maiden.
Portfolio: Despair, hopelessness, strife, and the season of winter.

Last edited:

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I'll talk about my "Eisla" one; it's for 1e AD&D / Hackmaster 4th...but I am toying with the idea of doing a 5e conversion.

Anyway. What's special about it? Two things stand out I guess.

1: 99.9% of the population is 0-level The VAST MAJORITY of the world is what could be now termed a "points of light" style world (I made this campaign world back in the late 90's), with large swaths of wilderness. They don't gain experience points. There are almost no 'adventuring class' NPC's.

2: Lack of Desire to Explore (low levels and lots of unexplored space) Due to a spell cast by all the gods of good (it kinda back-fired?...no...it had "unintended consequences"), nobody really believes in "real" monsters. "Goblins, orcs, gnolls, kobolds...sure, those are 'monsters', I guess. Never seen or heard of any. But Ogres? Trolls? Giants? Manticores? Dragons? PPFFFfffftttt! Not a chance! The gods vanquished all those horrible beasts during The Cataclysm! Besides...the gods would protect us! No worries. Now lets get back to tending the garden".

In a nutshell...there are a lot less 'monsters' on the surface of the world. And nobody in their right minds gets anywhere close to the ruined cities, castles and keeps left over from the Cataclysm...let alone actually trying to enter a dungeon or cavern system! Madness! Madness I say! :)

Ergo...not many 'classed individuals of any note. As an example, the most epic and powerful individual in one 'country' is a court magic-user to the King of Krandos. Here is part of the write up for Krandos:

Krandos also boast one of the (if not the) most powerful Wizards in the land; Vallar the Storm Raven. Vallar is reportedly able to conjure huge balls of fire, hold people in their tracks, or speak with anyone, regardless of their language. No sane person would even consider upsetting Vallar with the possible exception of King Krandos. (Vallar is an 8th level magic-user).

I think the Kings Champion is a 6th level Cavalier. The Guild Master Thief of Gregor's Pass is, iirc, 3rd level. Suffice it to say...when your character hits 1st level, you're above almost everyone you see as far as 'power/capability/hit-points' goes. If you make it to 2nd, 3rd, 4th or higher? You have songs written about you and your super-human abilities.

Anyway. That's the two biggest 'things' about Eisla. VERY low level, and townsfolk being all 0-level make for a very heroic game from the get go. Yes, I said Heroic! When you and your companions are 2nd and 3rd level, the Duke comes to you to quietly kill the supposed ogre living in the near by hills...because all his men and soldiers would just continue to get killed (they are all 0-level, with 5 or 6 hp's, after all...you all have two to five TIMES that!)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads