D&D 5E What makes your homebrew setting special?

Greg K

Legend
1. It includes what I like and leaves out what I dislike. For example, there is no Planescape or Spelljammer, and the only alternate planes are a heaven, a hell, a spirit world, and a Feywild type plane
2. The players, their characters and how they have shaped the events and stories over the years.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
My homebrew setting is The Witching Grounds, and it's special because fey run rampant. :p Kidding (well kinda), it's special because it is a "middle fantasy" setting that embraces the folklore and Jungian/shamanic psychology embodied in literature by Ursula LeGuin, Lloyd Alexander, and Terry Brooks.

"Middle fantasy" often features humans as the worst monster, with encounters with actual monsters being terrifying and attracting attention, magic being prevalent but viewed with superstition and/or competing views, ample political intrigue and military campaigning, a focus on slightly grittier personal stories, but not veering into moral ambivalence (this is definitely about heroism more than mercenaries). Dark and mortifying things do occur, but not as ends in and of themselves, but as windows for the heroes to learn about one another and themselves.

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
Hiya!

I'll talk about my "Eisla" one; it's for 1e AD&D / Hackmaster 4th...but I am toying with the idea of doing a 5e conversion.

Anyway. What's special about it? Two things stand out I guess.

1: 99.9% of the population is 0-level The VAST MAJORITY of the world is what could be now termed a "points of light" style world (I made this campaign world back in the late 90's), with large swaths of wilderness. They don't gain experience points. There are almost no 'adventuring class' NPC's.

2: Lack of Desire to Explore (low levels and lots of unexplored space) Due to a spell cast by all the gods of good (it kinda back-fired?...no...it had "unintended consequences"), nobody really believes in "real" monsters. "Goblins, orcs, gnolls, kobolds...sure, those are 'monsters', I guess. Never seen or heard of any. But Ogres? Trolls? Giants? Manticores? Dragons? PPFFFfffftttt! Not a chance! The gods vanquished all those horrible beasts during The Cataclysm! Besides...the gods would protect us! No worries. Now lets get back to tending the garden".

In a nutshell...there are a lot less 'monsters' on the surface of the world. And nobody in their right minds gets anywhere close to the ruined cities, castles and keeps left over from the Cataclysm...let alone actually trying to enter a dungeon or cavern system! Madness! Madness I say! :)

Ergo...not many 'classed individuals of any note. As an example, the most epic and powerful individual in one 'country' is a court magic-user to the King of Krandos. Here is part of the write up for Krandos:

Krandos also boast one of the (if not the) most powerful Wizards in the land; Vallar the Storm Raven. Vallar is reportedly able to conjure huge balls of fire, hold people in their tracks, or speak with anyone, regardless of their language. No sane person would even consider upsetting Vallar with the possible exception of King Krandos. (Vallar is an 8th level magic-user).

I think the Kings Champion is a 6th level Cavalier. The Guild Master Thief of Gregor's Pass is, iirc, 3rd level. Suffice it to say...when your character hits 1st level, you're above almost everyone you see as far as 'power/capability/hit-points' goes. If you make it to 2nd, 3rd, 4th or higher? You have songs written about you and your super-human abilities.

Anyway. That's the two biggest 'things' about Eisla. VERY low level, and townsfolk being all 0-level make for a very heroic game from the get go. Yes, I said Heroic! When you and your companions are 2nd and 3rd level, the Duke comes to you to quietly kill the supposed ogre living in the near by hills...because all his men and soldiers would just continue to get killed (they are all 0-level, with 5 or 6 hp's, after all...you all have two to five TIMES that!)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

And you can get your players to run in a world like this without turning into murderhobos? o_O I wish I had your group.

S

Sunseeker

How so, or which movies?

Lets see:
Virus-like eldritch horrors ala The Thing.
Name-magic and an obnoxious "ghost with the most".
Dream-traveling demons Nightmare on Elm Street style.
Minor monstrous creatures that start out cute and fluffy.
An area of the world slowly ceasing to exist among other various elements from Never Ending Story.
A puzzlebox that connects to/contains a demonic realm of pain.

Probably got some 90's movies in there too.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Steeldragons' World of Orea: Realms/Nations - in very brief!

The Freelands: where most campaigns start. A region of loosely aligned independent city-states (formerly part of Mostrial, see below). Most of the regions hold deference and allegiance (if not military dependence) to the continent's largest and most diverse city, the Gem of the East, Andril. Home and meeting place to races, religions, trade and goods of every imaginable (and some unimaginable) kind in Orea. If you can't find it in Andril, it doesn't exist. Also, perhaps most notably, home to the Oracles [of Andril]. Three immortal sorceresses who inhabit a giant blue crystal tower, "the Shard," in the center of the city. A pseudo-religious organization has arisen around them of specially trained diviners and ordained "oracles" (the 3 actual Oracles don't normally take audiences with just anyone ;) which emissaries from all corners of the world come to entreat with questions of concern from the grave to trivial.

The Freelands also counts among its realms the decadently indulgent trade-city of Threeways; the borderland bastion of Hawkview stares across the open water to the Mage-lands of R'Hath in the east; and at its the western edge, near the Daegun mountains, the shared garrison-city of Lindril. Lindril is best known for its Forked Tower. One spire housing human troops, and one spire housing their dwarven allies. South of Lindril, just outside of what is now Mostrial's official borders, Larassal is a land of rolling vibrant verdant beauty and grows some of Orea's finest wines. The Hollow Hills house the world's largest concentrated population of daelvar. A small wood, about 3 days journey from Andril, called Ef'thriel ["Elfhome"] is believed enchanted and filled of dark fae, given a wide birth by most who do not wish to be lost in the faerie world. While the bulk of the southern regions of the realm are shrouded beneath a veritable ocean-of-forest, an entire realm unto itself, the Mistwood. Mistwood is the original and largest hold of the mysteries and secrets of the Ancient/Holy Order - the worldwide druidic organization who generally keep to their sacred places and own unknown machinations, defending the Balance and the Green, and fighting off the constant encroachment of the "Gods of Men" [clerical/organized religion]. Naturally, multiple smaller towns and villages abound in which to begin any campaign or type of adventure.

Essentially, anything outside of the a day's ride from any given city is wilderness where all manner of bandits and unsavory creatures eke out their own survival.

Mostrial, the Green Kingdom, (since it was first mentioned above) is an ancient collection of kingdoms and strongholds originated by the elves in the time before humans even walked the earth. It is a realm of gently rolling fields, hills, and pastoral beauty. What few forests remain are ancient and deep. The two most notable are Hirial, a wood of ancient elfin magic and enchantment alleged to hide/safeguard some great evil beneath/within it, and Balwood, a place swathed in a reputation for sinister creatures (including ogres and giants) and evil magic. The extensive coastlines are rocky cliffs for the most part defending much of the land from sea-assault through the centuries. The landscape is dotted with the great elvish towered fortresses of old, the "Tali," now only Talas Isthian, Talas Eoril, and Talas Pellior remain. The Tali have undergone extensive renovations and additions by men and dwarves over the years, but their central high spires still tower above the more modest or clumsy non-elvin construction.

The original inhabitants of Mostrial took kindly to humans when they were first encountered, the Green Tribe of Men (who would go on to become the first druids) and taught them much in the ways of the arts, including that of battle, magic, nature, horse riding, and building (though they learned much more when they encountered dwarves). Over the centuries, the elves and humans mingled and interbred. When the Godswar came and the ShiStaliiri left their mortal progeny to fend for themselves, the general population had so much elfin blood flowing through it as to sustain fully "half-elf" traits. In a few short centuries, however, the fabled "half-elves" of Mostrial had assumed entirely human appearances, and lost/forgotten much of the majesty and nobility of their ancestry. In game terms, I allow "Mostralian humans" (usually from the noble houses) to possess enough genetic material to be considered a "half-elf" in game-term attributes/features while being wholly "human" in appearance. While still a realm of honor, heroic intentions and noble ancestry, enjoys vibrant trade with Freelanders and the Tankuun islanders through "the Citadel of the Sea King" (Talas Eoril), and a great military ally of the Kingdom of Grinlia, Mostrial is a fraction of its former power, influence, and glory.

...more later.

Last edited:

Magistus71

Explorer
Lets see:
Virus-like eldritch horrors ala The Thing.
Name-magic and an obnoxious "ghost with the most".
Dream-traveling demons Nightmare on Elm Street style.
Minor monstrous creatures that start out cute and fluffy.
An area of the world slowly ceasing to exist among other various elements from Never Ending Story.
A puzzlebox that connects to/contains a demonic realm of pain.

Probably got some 90's movies in there too.

Not what I was expecting, I thought you were going to say like Krull, or Hawk the Slayer, the cheesy fantasy movies of the time.

Nevvur

Explorer
There's lots of little quirks that go into making my setting special. One of my favorites is making dwarves and elves the evolutionary descendants of social mustelids and pack hunting felines, respectively, just as humans descended from primates.

But I'm proudest of my intense examination into the metaphysics of this world, particularly in deriving a narrative from the mechanics of D&D. I describe why there are spell slots, components, different spellcasting ability scores, and so on. This makes the setting special to me alone, really. I don't think any of my players have ever cared that much about this part of my campaign setting documentation, but having an internally consistent logic to magic has been valuable to me in imagining how a world that is otherwise similar to Earth might evolve in its presence.

Magistus71

Explorer
There's lots of little quirks that go into making my setting special. One of my favorites is making dwarves and elves the evolutionary descendants of social mustelids and pack hunting felines, respectively, just as humans descended from primates.

That quite a bit different than the standard Dwarves are from rock, and Elves from plants.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases