• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What needs to be in my Amazon wishlist?

der_kluge

Adventurer
So, it's coming up on Christmas, and as I am a geek, and my wife is not, she relies on my Amazon wish list to help her buy gifts for me.
So, I oblige her by putting stuff in the list. It's usually comprised of gaming books, and classical music CDs - two things which are notoriously difficult for someone else to buy for me.

So, I'm asking the group of geeks here - what should I be putting into my wishlist?
Of note: I almost exclusively play 5th edition D&D, and to that end, I have the core books, Xanathars and Volos. Tasha's is already on the list, and will stay there if I don't buy it before Christmas. I have Kobold Press' Creature Codex, and Tome of Beasts, and Paradigm's Arcanis. I also have the 3 "lairs" books by Kobold as well.

So, what else should I be looking for? I'll even take suggestions for Classical Music CDs (though, know that I have over 600 already)!

aco175

Legend
What about non-book items like dice and battlemats or such? I saw a large flip map book I would like or one of my kids could make an initiative tracker which would be thoughtful. minis are always cool as well.

der_kluge

Adventurer
What about non-book items like dice and battlemats or such? I saw a large flip map book I would like or one of my kids could make an initiative tracker which would be thoughtful. minis are always cool as well.
I do like minis, and they got me some last year (odd ones, though, but yes). I also have a bit of a backlog on painting them, and given that most of my gaming these days is PbP (a medium which I honestly prefer), I don't have much use for them. Plus, I already have lots. But a good suggestions, nevertheless.

I also have Tact-Tiles, which are pretty much the gold standard in battlemap things.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'd like to hear more about these 600+ CDs. You know, before I suggest something...
I own nearly every piece by Carl Orff, Igor Stravinsky, Dmitri Shostakovich, Hovhaness and Dvorak. My Philip Glass collection is also impressive. And then, of course, are the hundred+ CDs devoted to all the typical mainstream stuff that you'll find on any top 100 Classical pieces list. But it tends to favor the more modern stuff.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Art & Arcana
Maybe some books about running the game?
Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master
The Monsters Know What They're Doing
A paint set to get you inspired to start working through your backlog of minis?
The Lazy DM book doesn't really look like something I need. But that other one (500+ pages?!), holy cow, definitely added that. That could be a fun read.

Not sure I really need more paints. Since I mostly play PbP, I don't use the miniatures I have. It isn't a bad idea though.

monsmord

Adventurer
I own nearly every piece by Carl Orff, Igor Stravinsky, Dmitri Shostakovich, Hovhaness and Dvorak. My Philip Glass collection is also impressive. And then, of course, are the hundred+ CDs devoted to all the typical mainstream stuff that you'll find on any top 100 Classical pieces list. But it tends to favor the more modern stuff.
Challenge accepted! The real trick is finding some of the excellent but obscure stuff on Amazon, rather than Naxos, et al. The excavation begins...

Ace

Adventurer
So, it's coming up on Christmas, and as I am a geek, and my wife is not, she relies on my Amazon wish list to help her buy gifts for me.
So, I oblige her by putting stuff in the list. It's usually comprised of gaming books, and classical music CDs - two things which are notoriously difficult for someone else to buy for me.

So, I'm asking the group of geeks here - what should I be putting into my wishlist?
Of note: I almost exclusively play 5th edition D&D, and to that end, I have the core books, Xanathars and Volos. Tasha's is already on the list, and will stay there if I don't buy it before Christmas. I have Kobold Press' Creature Codex, and Tome of Beasts, and Paradigm's Arcanis. I also have the 3 "lairs" books by Kobold as well.

So, what else should I be looking for? I'll even take suggestions for Classical Music CDs (though, know that I have over 600 already)!
Heroes Feast the official D&D cookbook is great.

monsmord

Adventurer
Alrightey! I don't own any of these CDs, so can't vet performances or curation of collections, but I know many of the pieces and all the composers, and enjoy them myself. I'm skipping names popularized by Kubrick. :) Hopefully you'll find one or two to suit.

Some 20th Century "easy listening":

Lili Boulanger (sort of her "greatest hits")
All eight symphonies of Einojuhani Rautavaara (his concerti and "Cantus Arcticus" are also highly recommended)
George Antheil, "Orchestral Works Vol 2" ("Archipelago" is amaaaaazing, and I assume you have "Ballet Mechanique")
Ned Rorem, "Three Symphonies"

...And more meaty fare:

Selections from Sofia Gubaidulina (all of her work is great - check out "Concerto for Two Orchestras" on YouTube for a real treat)
George Crumb "70th Birthday Album" (I'm guessing you already have his "Ancient Voices of Children." I turned down a chance to meet him because I was chicken)
Penderecki, "Symphonies & Other Orchestral Works" (a bit of a mish-mash)
William Kraft, "Contextures" (yes, he scored Bakshi's "Fire and Ice"!)
Olga Neuwirth, "Lost Highway" (an opera based on David Lynch's film)

...For wind ensemble:

"Composer's Collection: Joseph Schwantner"
Persichetti, Collected works

In the vein of Philip Glass:

Meredith Monk, "Do You Be" ("Turtle Dreams" looks to be out of print)
Julia Wolfe, "Anthracite Fields" (I prefer her "Arsenal of Democracy," but can't find it)

...And some chamber stuff (heavy on the Manchester School):

Harrison Birtwistle's "The Moth Requiem" (and why not pick up the DVD of his opera, "The Minotaur"?)
Peter Maxwell Davies (RIP), "Eight Songs for a Mad King" (or anything by him)
"Jennifer Higdon: Chamber Music" (I met her once; she's neato)
Wolfgang Rihm, "Et Lux"
Kaija Saariaho, "Trios"

Okay, so this isn't modern, but Gesualdo's music is...weird for his time, so it almost sounds like someone today mimicking Olde Musik, but... Don Carlo Gesualdo, "Complete Madrigals"

Amazon's coming up empty on a few others, like Gaziza Zhubanova, Betty Olivero, Andrew Norman, etc., but hey, there's always YouTube.

Remove ads