D&D (2024) What new jargon do you want to replace "Race"?

What new jargon do you want to replace "Race"?

• Species

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • Type

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Form

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Lifeform

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Biology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taxonomy

• Taxon

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Genus

• Geneology

• Family

• Parentage

• Ancestry

Votes: 99 55.6%
  • Bloodline

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Line

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lineage

Votes: 49 27.5%
  • Pedigree

• Folk

Votes: 34 19.1%
  • Kindred

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • Kind

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Kin

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Kinfolk

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Filiation

• Extraction

• Descent

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Heredity

• Heritage

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • People

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Nature

• Birth

Yaarel

He Mage
Honestly, I would prefer the word "Ethnicity," (add to the poll?) over either.
I worry that Ethnicity can end up creating the same problem that the word Race does. Namely, human cultural stereotypes are treated as if nonhuman. An othering.

Maybe if D&D officially defines Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, and so on as members of the Human species, it might make sense to refer to them as Ethnicities?

I think of D&D races as nothing like human ethnicities or race. They are much more like different species or categories of being (and the cultural elements that are borrowed from the real world, are there simply for flavor, for shorthand (i.e. something that implies viking-like is very easy to extrapolate on, etc). But they aren't meant to be confused with real world groups, be commentary on real world groups, nor are they a statement about some kind of biological essentialism in humans (the fact that humans all belong to one race in the game to me is a good indication that this isn't the case: in fact the one time I saw a setting where different human groups had stat modifiers, I found it very off-putting for that reason).

Celebrim

Legend
Regardless of the fact that the word brings up bad feelings for some people, these are all so awkward and inaccurate that it's hard to fault Gygax for choosing "race", especially since the dictionary definition of "race" he was using (2a rather than 1a) is not the one that most modern readers will think of. We're not actually changing the idea when we change the word sound we label that idea with. If anything we are just inventing a new definition of the word, so that the new word now means the same as the old one and will in its time be seen as wrong.

I'm not going to participate in the debate around the word, because first I don't care that much since every word change of this sort is meaningless - shuffling labels for ideas doesn't alter ideas - and secondly because it seems predicated over the confusion of having a single word with like 10 different definitions. Most of the arguments to me seem akin to confusing the writer's intent with discussion of an athletic contest and fighting over that. Change it to whatever you like, and I'll shrug or chuckle depending on what you change it to.

Still, it's strange to see "race" moving toward becoming a profanity or obscenity. It's strange because I don't think it's going to do anything to make people more compassionate toward one another, but profanity and how it is chosen by society is always a strange concept if you think about it. What is tame in one language is unspeakably vulgar in another, and humans will become more enraged about how something is said than what was actually said or meant. Which is both and at the same time a justification for treating words as obscenities or profanities, and also displays how silly the whole thing is.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Race is in no way moving toward profanity of obscenity.

It's usage in this context was just... never good and after a surprisingly quick fifty years is being abandoned.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Wait, species is also problematic now?
As I’ve noted a few times now, species implies that dark-skinned drow are an entirely different species than pale-skinned high elves, which yeah, is problematic. And drow is just the most obvious example, but you see the same problem with any of the races character options that have multiple sub-groups. Duergar and dwarves, svirfneblin and gnomes, githyanki and githzerai…

Andvari

Hero
Pardon me, but wasn't the real issue generalising a whole group of people as evil based on their appearance, rather than which specific term was used to divide those groups into categories? So the word "race" not being the actual issue, but saying "all orcs are always evil due to being of the orc race" is? And if so, replacing "race" with "species" seems to matter little. "All orcs are always evil due to being of the orc species" is equally problematic.

Or am I missing something?

Anyway, I think I like ancestry, folk or kin the best. Currently playing Pathfinder 2E, and nobody seems to have questioned the use of "ancestry" in place of "race." Though I'm not sure what the adjectives are for "folk" and "kin." Ancestral abilities sounds fine, though.

Last edited:

Remove ads