What, no evil PC's

doseyclwn

First Post
Was reading the entry for Paladin in the new PHB and it said something along the lines of PC's not being able to be paladins. A quick look over the rest of the book, and it doesn't really give any options for evil PC's. Are any of you playing evil PC's and how is it going?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Evil is bad. Mom said so.

You'll have to wait for a supplement to get feats for Anti-Heroic tier.

Cheers, -- N

jhilahd

Explorer
But Paladin's are one of the core classes, so PC's can create Paladin characters.

And either in the PHB or the DMG(I forget and the books are running together at the moment), it discusses running an evil game. Or rather allowing the PC's to play evil characters. But you have to realize that the focus of this game as a whole, is on heroes. Good heroes. That's not to say you can't have one or two anti-heroes(unaligned) characters in a group.
And there is nothing to stop you and your group from running an evil campaign, I just wouldn't expect a lot of "official" support for such a game.

Good luck!

ChupacabraPlus

First Post
It's a good change. Players will always open up the PHB and go straight for the problematic choice, so it's best just to remove it as an option, because in 90% of games it really isn't an option.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
While PC paladins can't be evil, they are encouraged to slaughter anyone who isn't of their god, which is good enough for me.

Shroomy

Adventurer
PCs can be evil, but its really up to the DM. It is discussed in the DMG, along with the evil gods. I think this is a change for the better.

Amadeus Windfall

First Post
It says that evil and chaotic evil paladins are "almost always villains, not player characters." This basically just says "Yeah, you could be an evil paladin, but we don't recommend it." Since the game is, as others have said, about heroes, this is good advice to players.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
doseyclwn said:
Was reading the entry for Paladin in the new PHB and it said something along the lines of PC's not being able to be paladins. A quick look over the rest of the book, and it doesn't really give any options for evil PC's. Are any of you playing evil PC's and how is it going?

Here's how you do it. You create a PC and then you use him to steal a lolipop from a little girl or break the garden gnome of an elderly couple who loves gardeneing work. You know; you act evil. If you are playing a paladin or a cleric you must take the extra step of selecting an Evil god (they are in the DMG).

Personnally I told my players to not even bother writing their alignment on the character sheet. It doesn't matter in any mechanical sense and I really don't care.

On the other hand, I like these doctrinal commandment that are listed with the gods. Those I ask the PC with divine powers to follow.

Last edited:

TheNovaLord

First Post
On Pain of Death....level 1 paladin power....they are no longer the LG they once where.....their powers make them like zealots who are judge, jury and executioner.

Why not an evil paladin PC? he will likely have a 'tight' code to live by still and given the circumstance of your POL, it could work. As someone mentioned it depends on your 'table'.

TNL

Remove ads