• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What options from the DMG are you using?

Grimstaff

Explorer
I'm using three so far in my RotRL campaign:

The Carousing table - for some reason, the players find it hilarious when one of them wakes up in a random place with no memory of how they got there and 50gp missing. Go figure.

The Lingering Wounds table - the book recommends rolling on this at 0 hp, but that happens way to much in my game, so we roll after the second failed death save.

Chases - Used this to good effect when the party was being chased through a forest by a horde of really pissed off Ogres. A fast and fun "mini game".

gweinel

Explorer
Pretty many things.
Variant resting healing rule. More gritty. My players don't get their hit points back during long rest, only half their HD.
For natural healing they have to expend a use of their healing kit.
Speed Factor: YEA
Chase rules (these rock)
Cover hits.

I am quite satisfied with the applications of these rules atm :)

At the moment I’m playing in someone else’s campaign, and running stuff for the Adventurers’ League and it’s all pretty much conventional rules. However, when I get to run my own, I am probably going to include dice rolling over the flat Proficiency bonus, Inspiration controlled by players, Human variant chargen rules, and maybe develop some alternative races.

Bugbear70

Explorer
We're currently heading down the home stretch of ToD and I promised my players our first 5e campaign would be "by the book" so we could get a fair test drive (also--the DMG had not released yet when we began), BUT when I start our 5e Greyhawk campaign (early March), we're gonna use....

Loyalty (abuse those hirelings at your own risk!)
Crafting Magic Items paired with Magic Item Formulas (at least until they break the system & it feels like PF all over again)
Mixing Potions (like a Wild Magic table in your tummy!)
Flanking & Diagonals (duh!)
Healing Variant-Slow Natural Healing (for that grittier 'Greyhawk' feel)
All of the Attack Options on page 271 (except for Mark)
Hitting Cover
Cleaving through Creatures
Morale

Can't wait to move on from the Realms and back into Greyhawk--on to the Yeomanry!

guachi

Hero
Loyalty and Morale for an older feel to the game.
Slow Natural Healing. There are game events that need time to play out and resting is a good way to extend things.

tomservo999

Explorer
Haven't started yet, but planning on using a bunch. Flanking, massive damage, hitting cover, disarm, overrun, shove aside, tumble, and lingering damage. Also using the rule that regaining hit points via a short rest requires the expenditure of one use from a Healer's kit.

Mavkatzer

Explorer
Variant healing: A Long Rest doesn't recover all hit points, just half the hit dice.
My players actually voted unanimously for this option. We love the greater feeling of danger.
I notice others here seem to be using this healing variant as well.

Remove ads