• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what rpgs do car wars?

aramis erak

Legend
What are the best rpgs that can be used to play car wars on the market, besides, well car wars? I want to bone up and see what works and what doesn't. also anything to keep in mind when balence the person and the car so neither feels extraneous?
Both GURPS and HERO have official adaptations... and SJG now has permission to sell Autoduel Champions (Abbr ADC. The HERO port) in PDF. Both go the "build it in the system's native design rules" mode, so nothing actually ports save the setting.

ADC does have extensive additions to CW as well, unlike GAD1 or GAD2.

One could get the tone in many other games but as with Hero and GURPS, none of them are going to be using the CW cars.
The ones coming to mind: Heavy Gear, Genesys, Savage Worlds. Each has decent vehicle rules. Tone will be different in each.

Traveller skill levels (CT/MT/MgT1/MgT2) are relatively comparable... but then you need to adjust a bit because CW attributes are either just HP and Prestige, or are Zero-normed (in ADC) modifiers to a number of skills. I used 1···3 = -2, 4···6=-1, 10···12+1, 13···15 = +2, and each DP is 2d6 damage to attributes.

If one uses the ADQ article on ObRacing, it adds hit locations for PC and makes them actually too tough, so turn 1DP into 1d3 damage points for the ObRacing mechanic...

Normally, I've just used DCW (white rulebook) or CWC_ (compendiums 1···2.5) with the extra skills and the attributes from the Supers in CW section of ADC, along with a mild refactoring of the Hero disads and advantages. 60 points base, no more than 30 in the "combat skills" (Driver, Pilot, Motorcyclist, Trucker, Gunner, Handgunner, Mechanic, Martial arts), no more than 40 in disads nor advantages. I used a log function for the wealth advantage... 500*2^(pts/5). There was a sliding scale for debt-based starting wealth; I'd need to check my notes for just how much, but it generally was able to get a PC who had only combat skills and the CWC defaults a Hive and Queen...

Remove ads