What setting would you like to see as RPG?

Derren

Hero
Just a quick random topic/poll.
What setting? Be it your original creation or from a book/movie/video game/etc. would you like to see as RPG?

Personally I recently started to think that the setting from the Sword of the Stars video game would make a interesting scifi (Alternity/Traveller) game. At first glance it is a normal space opera but it does things slightly different than most others which imo makes the setting rather interesting.

So you have your bug race, but this time they are not a hive mind and just have a "normal" monarchy (witch some exceptions) with all the revolutions and infighting.
There are of course humans but the space corps have been heavily infiltrated by the catholic church which started early to try to convert the aliens to Christianity with quite some success.
You have the stereotypical evil race with telepathic powers who dominate others. Too bad that one of them took over the mind of one of those human missionaries and has taken on his personality and is now waging a Crusade against his "infidel" brethren.
And then you have your stereotypical peaceful hippy race. The fact that they are hermaphrodic dolphins who can only actually use machines through their (quite potent) telekinetic powers is not strange enough, being peace loving they do not have a concept of "limited warfare". Its either peace or total, genocidal war. Have I mentioned that they are masters of biotechnology, including biological weapons?
There are more races in the setting but they are more similar to what other scifi settings have.

At first this sounds more like a joke setting, but it is still a normal space opera and not as extreme as it might sound here.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
Just a quick random topic/poll.
What setting? Be it your original creation or from a book/movie/video game/etc. would you like to see as RPG?

Personally I recently started to think that the setting from the Sword of the Stars video game would make a interesting scifi (Alternity/Traveller) game. At first glance it is a normal space opera but it does things slightly different than most others which imo makes the setting rather interesting.

So you have your bug race, but this time they are not a hive mind and just have a "normal" monarchy (witch some exceptions) with all the revolutions and infighting.
There are of course humans but the space corps have been heavily infiltrated by the catholic church which started early to try to convert the aliens to Christianity with quite some success.
You have the stereotypical evil race with telepathic powers who dominate others. Too bad that one of them took over the mind of one of those human missionaries and has taken on his personality and is now waging a Crusade against his "infidel" brethren.
And then you have your stereotypical peaceful hippy race. The fact that they are hermaphrodic dolphins who can only actually use machines through their (quite potent) telekinetic powers is not strange enough, being peace loving they do not have a concept of "limited warfare". Its either peace or total, genocidal war. Have I mentioned that they are masters of biotechnology, including biological weapons?
There are more races in the setting but they are more similar to what other scifi settings have.

At first this sounds more like a joke setting, but it is still a normal space opera and not as extreme as it might sound here.

a few come to mind....

The Chronicles of Narnia

Legend (based on the Tom Cruise movie of the same name)

The Dark Crystal

The Chronicles of Prydain

The Wizard of Oz

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First that springs to mind for a FRPG is Dominaria- the world of M:tG. I'm doing a write up of one in HERO, but...

Harry Turtledove's Darkness novels would be cool, too.

Most of the sci-fi settings I'm currently enjoying- Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Retrieval Artist, CJ Cherryh's Foreigner and Ben Bova's Grand Tour- could be handled pretty easily in systems like Traveller or StarHERO.

Last edited:

Aldeon

First Post
I would like to see the Legend of Zelda series be made into a tabletop setting. I know that a lot of people have made fan conversions of the game, but the ones I've tried have been fairly lackluster and usually only focus around the Ocarina of Time.

ComradeGnull

First Post
I'd like to see the setting from the Bruce Stirling/William Gibson novel The Difference Engine. It overlaps a little bit with some Steampunk concepts, but the direction of technological development is much more in the area of information processing and communication rather than steam cannon and ornithopters. Lots of interesting political/social possibilities given the changes in society that this sort of innovation would create ahead of schedule- the idea was essentially to have the Information Age start around 1890 rather than 1990.

grodog

Hero
I continue to remain very jazzed on the universe of Aliens/Prometheus, and would love to see a new licensed RPG published, or a revival of the Leading Edge Games RPG from c. 1989.

Remove ads