What skill for mass combat?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Interesting question. I haven't really dealt with this issue in my own games, but I'll venture an off the cuff answer.

I think there are two very distinct aspects to being a good general and history is riddled with examples of generals who were good at one or the other, neither or both. There is the ability to inspire men to fight and to lead them into battle. This is clearly Charisma based and I'd probably use Diplomacy as analogous or (if it were a reluctant army of Goblins or Orcs) perhaps Intimidation.

Distinct from that is the matter of strategy and logistics and this seems to be clearly a matter of Intelligence. I'd say that Knowledge: Strategy might fit the bill. Alternately, I'd venture that Appraise would address a lot of the logistics issues, if not the strategic ones.

That doesn't address the problem of Fighters (who would seem to make good Generals) not having Knowledge as a Class Skill. Sorry.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Yeah, we're basically going with a Knowledge skill, but I wanted to see if there was anything in "da r00lz".

I don't have a problem with fighters not having this as a class skill. There are feats-a-plenty that would cover taking a knowlege skill as a class skill and some of the best generals have been poor combattants.

hammymchamham

First Post
Tom Cashel said:
What about the Leadership feat? Seems perfect.

The feat gives you some followers to order around, but how good are you? Does a INT 5 Fighter with the Leadership suddenly become a fantastic leader? No. But a INT 5 (or INT 12) Fighter with ranks in Knowledge(Warfare) would make a better leader in the Arts of War

dcollins

Explorer
As a previous poster speculated, in Sword & Fist, p. 10, under "New Knowledge Skills", there is the following:

- War (siege engines, sapping, siege tactics and strategy).

I'll also point out that the Warmaster prestige class (S&F p. 37) requires the Leadership feat and 5 ranks Diplomacy, so perhaps those are apropos on the "inspiring troops" side.

Profession(Soldier)

5 ranks of that should give you a synergy bonus to any related Knowledge skills

You might want the General to take a level of Expert for extra skills and Class skills selected as you wish.

Gaiden

Explorer
Rokugan has a skill called Battle

There is always knowledge(war)

Profession (soldier)

There are a few PrC's

There is one in Sword and Fist that let's you essentially become a general.

And there is a cleric equivalent in Defenders of the Faith.

I would consider Leadership Feat, and possibly skill focus in the above skills.

Last edited:

Remove ads