• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What third-party d20 settings should I investigate?

smootrk

First Post
I will 'third' (or is it 'fourth') the vote for Scarred Lands. Aside from some basic class structure, the setting is quite different from the norm - and in a decidedly 'dark' way. Another very attractive factor is that the materials are readily available at inexpensive prices, although the vast majority of the materials are 3.0. For instance, I picked up nearly all the books in a bundle for about $75 from an ebay seller.

Hollowfaust (city of necromancers) is a great base for a 'dark' campaign.

Pramas

Explorer
Big Bucket said:
Another vote for Thieves World and Black Company here. I think Thieves World is coming out with a packaged set of the three or four books or may have already done so.

The Thieves' World Gift Set just came out a few weeks ago. For $99.95 you get a slipcase with all four books of the original line (The Thieves' World Player's Manual, Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary, The Thieves' World Gazetteer, and Murder at the Vulgar Unicorn) plus a brand new 64-page adventure by Robert J. Schwalb (Black Snake Dawn) that takes place in Sanctuary's classic era. If you order direct from the GR site, you also get a TW book plate signed by Lynn Abbey.

http://www.greenronin.com/catalog/grr1805

Ceresco

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Codex Arcanis is also a very neat setting (easily my favorite from 3x) that combines the overt alien features of Jack Vance's The Dying Earth and Allastor novels with the pulp sensibilities of Kenneth Roberson's Doc Savage.

HOORAY FOR LOVE OF ARCANIS!

Yes, the Codex Arcanis seems to be exactly what you're looking for. Before you buy it go rent a copy of "GLADIATOR" becuase Arcanis: the World of Shattered Empires steps away from the normal Western European/Medieval tropes and takes it's inspiration for the Coryani Empire from the late Roman Empire & Byzantine Empire.

From there you will find a plethora of support books expanding on the Coryani Empire, it's history, the races that make up it's denizens and the countires that were former provinces which have broken from Imperial rule. There are also an amazing amount of Arcanis specific Base Classes, PrClasses, feats, skills and spells as well as a single title (Forged in Magic) devoted to powerful and historical magic items. Pdf versions are avaialble at RPG Now and hard copies can be ordered from your FLGS.

An added bonus is that Arcanis has a Living campaign which used to be part of the RPGA, so there are five years worth of adventures (the first two years are semi-retired, soon to be re-released in Year One and Year Two books). And most recently (as in this month) the Living Arcanis campaign has parted ways with the RPGA so there is no requirement for joining the RPGA or ordering events through thier website (which was a total pain in the tookus), they are/will be available at www.livingarcanis.com as well as the newly released Iron Kings program which is totally created and written by small, talented groups of fellow Arcaniacs from across the US and Melbourne, Australia to expand the stories told in Arcanis.

Attached are files that give a general idea of what Arcanis is like and an example of fiction that helps tell what's happening on the continent of Onara (from a couple of years ago), where the Coryani Empire is located.

I hope you find this helpful in making your descision, Arcanis is truly a great and unique d20 setting with very devoted fans and the most supportive publishers in the rpg business.

Respectfully,

Edward Kopp: Arcaniac at Large
UKon Coordinator
www.warhorn.net/ukon2007/

Attachments

• Introduction to LA.doc
    38 KB · Views: 52
  • Chapter 1_Pawns.pdf
    171.4 KB · Views: 232

Ceresco

First Post
Psion said:
Freeport, the pirate city-setting, as well as the 3.0 city, Bluffside. Freeport's also only a 3.0 book, but there is a revised book on its way, to be distributed as a Setting book and separate crunch books with 3.5 and True20 conversions.

The city of Freeport is also an important part of the Arcanis setting. Early on in 3ed PCI and Green Ronin collaborated on a few projects. There was the Interlink series from PCI and GR that combined "Hammer & Helm" w/ "Lords of the Peaks", "Wrath & Rage" w/ "Eldest Sons" and "Plot & Poinson" w/ "Unveiled Masters" which have covers that when put together completed a single canvas.

Another PCI/GR synergy is PCIs "Theocracy of Canceri" written by Rob "Dr. Evil" Schwalb. Though not an offical Interlink title it is further evidence of the close ties between the two publishers.

Respectfully,

Edward Kopp: Arcaniac at Large
UKon Coordinator
www.warhorn.net/ukon2007/

DMH

First Post
Ghostwind said:
Seriously, take a look at Oathbound. I think you will like what it offers.

I'll 4th this. OB can be as bright or a dark as the DM wants, but either way the PCs are forced into a fight for survival by the lords of the Forge.

Imaro said:
My second choice, if you want something a little more traditional, would definitely be Iron Kingdoms.
It is more traditional and yet less so at the same time. The whole vibe of "D&D setting undergoing an industrial revolution" can make it feel quite a bit different and non-traditional in terms of D&D.

Otherwise, it offers a lot of exactly what you're looking for. Darker setting, harder to cast spells some spells (particularly healing and ressurection type magic), grim stuff going on all over the place.

It's possibly one of the best supported settings out there too, with it's own magazine published every other month, and hordes of minis. Of course, that's because the mini's game based on Iron Kingdoms is largely marginalizing the D&D stuff in terms of sales, but regardless there's a lot of material available for Iron Kingdoms if you want it.

If not, the Monsternomicon is a great book for almost any setting, IMO. It does repeat the concept for a few races--it's got IK specific trolls and goblins, for instance, and it does have maybe half a dozen entries that could be considered "steampunk" which may or may not be to your taste. But it's still a top notch monster book even if it's not.

Aus_Snow

First Post
A Game of Thrones [OGL] would meet all the criteria, I think.

Unfortunately, there is only the one book, as Guardians of Order no longer exists.

But gods, what a book. It's easily one of the most impressive RPG books I've come across, even now (having come across a whole lot more since buying that one).

Seriously, check it out.

Remove ads