D&D 5E What type of D&D sourcebooks do you miss from older editions?

Zardnaar

Legend
I really am a fan of boxed sets. Despite the possible financial impracticality of it all, I'd really like to see their come-back. Lands of Intrigue, and the Planescape Boxed Sets are some of my favourite things of all time, and they remain treasured possessions.

I'd want another Lands of Intrigue for any of the 5e books.

You could do then they would just cost a lot.

Sacrosanct

Legend
One of the best resources I remember from my beginning days as a DM was the AD&D 2nd edition Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide. It was full of information about different play styles, establishing house rules, being a good player, how to draw maps, etc. While most of this information can be found online these days, back in the day this was a great help for those of us learning the craft of DMing in relative isolation and trailblazing the hobby in our local communities.

In looking up this information, I just noticed that Jennell Jaquays was a co-author! No wonder the advice was so good.

This. Honestly though, if you haven’t read these, go get them. They are pretty setting agnostic and still hold a great value. Creative Campaigning as well

joshinminn

Explorer
Honestly, if WOTC published an official product monthly, I'd buy them all. Setting books, box sets, guides, whatevs. They're all awesome.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Something else I'd like to see WotC do: buy the IP from Judges' Guild and reprint both City State of the Invincible Overlord and City State of the World Emperor. They're both great, and sadly both are crazy expensive to acquire these days in any kind of decent condition.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The one book I keep thinking about is Oriental Adventures.

I would love to see a full book that gave classes, races, spells, and so on for non-Western European campaigns.

I know that 5e is customizable, but I'd like to see a specific book.
We are undeniable a third party, but our 5e Al-Qadim update, Adventures in the Land of Fate, should be available in PDF and PoD before the end of the year.

I am a collector, not a true player. I usually buy monster manuals and books with new classes and races.

I miss Species Savages, one of my favorites, and the racial classes. I want a new Oriental Adventures, Book of Nine Swords and the binder class with the vestiges pact magic. I have suggested to hire Dreamscarred Press as subsidiary company for the 5th Ed of psionic, incarnum/akasha and martial adepts.

I loved Dark Sun, and Ravenloft.

I want the compilation of all the true dragons (ones with age categories) (oriental, gems, planar, outer..) and their dragonborn subraces.

AD&D had got some interesting monsters, like aboleth subraces, and some humanoids races.

In the right hands, the remake of the Chronomancer may be a true blockbuster. The idea of time spheres could open lots of new doors and options to create stories.

I would like the races from d20 Future, and Gamme World, in Spelljammer.

Magic of Incarnum needs a remake. Two classes were too paladin clones. Buffer powers can be useful in the fight, but boring for storytelling effects. I would rather buff-breaker powers than enemy-nerfers.

Birthright could be use for a strategy videogame as Warhammer: Total War. But it needs a lot of playtesting because in the battlefield magic is expensive but powerful.

Mystara could be the world of other beat'tem videogame by Capcom.

Shiroiken

Legend
I think the best aspect of many 2E books (and a few 3E books) is mechanic neutral fluff. These books are still referenced today by those who have them, making them invaluable assets. IME 4E didn't have much of this, nor 1E (except the DMG, which is amazing), and so far, there hasn't been that much in 5E either, other than some fluff from SCAG and VGtM. While I expect 5E will be around for quite a long time, eventually a new edition will come around, and I'd hope that 5E will have some books still useful.

jasper

Rotten DM
Something else I'd like to see WotC do: buy the IP from Judges' Guild and reprint both City State of the Invincible Overlord and City State of the World Emperor. They're both great, and sadly both are crazy expensive to acquire these days in any kind of decent condition.
What do think is a reasonable price?
Jasper has the books if you have the coin. Well not really but I do have some decent copies.

Remove ads