What Unofficial Star Trek RPGs are out there?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm aware of Far Trek. Are there any other unofficial Star Trek RPGs that should be on my radar? (I know I missed an excellent opportunity for a pun there.)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Far Trek and Where No Man Has Gone Before are the two unofficial ones I know about that are complete standalone games. There's heaps of homebrew and house rules turning other systems to the task. Tons of tips and pointers for using generic systems for Trek as well. Popular choices are Savage Worlds, Fate (especially with the Brainstorming mechanics from Atomic Robo), and Cortex Prime.

Vael

Legend
I was about to suggest FATE, and specifically the Atomic Robo implementation, as it has brainstorming to do technobabble sessions and the way characters are built allow for easy Medical/Tactical/Command, etc style characters.

ThrorII

Adventurer
I third Far Trek!!
It is a fun beer and pretzels game. You can play it seriously (City on the Edge of Forever) or light (Spock's Brain).

While it is technically an officially licensed product, the Prime Directive RPG diverges from Paramount canon at the point of the publication of the Star Fleet Technical Manual, and goes off on a wild tangent. It also doesn't/can't mention any specific characters from TOS or TAS.

Kannik

Hero
For Cortex Prime, there's the "Prime Directive" and "To Boldly Go" hacks. I haven't personally tried either, yet, but I think Cortex Prime would be a good system for the kind of stories Trek often leans towards.

(I'm also toying with my own version/hack, but it's far from being in a state ready to play :))

aramis erak

Legend
Far Trek and Where No Man Has Gone Before are the two unofficial ones I know about that are complete standalone games. There's heaps of homebrew and house rules turning other systems to the task. Tons of tips and pointers for using generic systems for Trek as well. Popular choices are Savage Worlds, Fate (especially with the Brainstorming mechanics from Atomic Robo), and Cortex Prime.
SOmeone's done a 3rd edition of FASA Trek -- sufficiently updated. Essentially a derivative work. Lots of changes, still recognizably F-Trek. https://www.jackphoton.space/

Starships & Spacemen: both the 1978 1st ed and the 2010 2nd ed on drive thru.

https://polyhedralnonsense.com/2022...official-voyages-non-licensed-star-trek-rpgs/ lists FT/WNMHGB and a couple more... most notably Alpha Quadrant. AQ is cepheus based.

There was an older one based upon TNE, but I've not seen it since Google came online. And I found it via Archie... I don't know if the Gopher server is running still on the edu site it was at...

Last edited:

Remove ads