D&D General What version of the Basic D&D/BECMI starter set did you first own?

If the first Dungeons & Dragons product you owned was a Basic D&D starter set, which was it?

• 1977, Basic Set (Holmes)

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • 1981, Basic Set (Moldvay)

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • 1983, Basic Rules (Mentzer, the "red box")

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • 1991, The New Easy-to-Master Dungeons & Dragons Game (Denning, the "black box")

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • 1994, The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game (Stewart)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Poll closed .

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I picked the '94 black box set because I didn't read the thread title carefully enough - and I can't erase my erroneous vote, either. Oops. Anyway, of the products listed as options, that was the first I owned, but it was not the first A/D&D product I owned.

At the time I bought it, I was mostly playing AD&D 2nd Edition, but didn't yet realize that D&D, AD&D, and 2nd Edition were actually distinct things. I never used it, though after a decade or so the Rules Cyclopedia became my favorite version of D&D ever and was my go-to until I discovered Dungeon Crawl Classics.

I still have a couple of the miniatures that came in that black box set, though. They outlasted a LOT of my early purchases.

JEB

Legend
Closed after a week! (Note that as mentioned upthread, the one vote for the 1994 set doesn't count.)

Not surprised to see the famous 1983 "red box" as the top pick... but the 1981 version was really close behind! All the more impressive as the 1981 version was only in print for two years (compared to the roughly eight-year run of the 1983 version).

Folks in the rpg.net version of the first product thread expressed interest in a version of this poll there as well, so we'll be able to compare and contrast with that forum in another week. (No such requests on Reddit, though.)

I voted Mentzer's Red Box, but it was actually the Blue Expert that I first bought. Why? Because Waldenbooks didn't have the Basic box and I didn't know any better. Then I got UA. Why? Because it had classes and treasure in the same book! And Waldenbooks didn't have the DMG/PB that day and I didn't know any better. Added a few disjointed modules but my buddies and I basically scrawled out our own homebrew dungeons and somehow had fun.

I finally got the 1e DMG/PB/MM and we sort of morphed into mish-mash of 1e + Expert. I don't think we ever had Basic Red Box.

I don't recommend it, but pre-internet and no older players to lean on, a bunch of 13 year olds had to make do.
Imagine playing with just 6-siders (my first three sessions) But that's what imagination was for.
Moldvay was the first version I played (and ordered) but I got the Metzger version when it arrived. (It was a prize from the Olympic Sales Club for those that remember that fine org.) I got that and money which I purchased modules, accessories and my first set of Armory amd Gamscience dice. Yes my first real job was all for the love of the game

Last edited:

JEB

Legend
The rpg.net version of the poll is all finished - here's how the two forums compare:

ENWorldrpg.net
1977 (Holmes)14 (16.3%)22 (23.2%)
1981 (Moldvay)31 (36.0%)26 (27.4%)
1983 (Mentzer, the "red box")33 (38.4%)40 (42.1%)
1991 (Denning, the "black box")7 (8.1%)5 (5.3%)
1994 (Stewart)0 (0.0%)*2 (2.1%)
TOTAL VOTES8595
* Per @Ath-kethin, his vote does not count

Note that I did not ask folks to avoid voting on rpg.net if they voted here, so there may be people who voted on both.

I'm unsure what to make of the results, so I'll just leave them without commentary.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases