What was wrong with Magic of Eberron?

SJE

Explorer
Heres the thing- I remember a recent thread about someone asking what to get for Eberron. People recommended the core book, said Five Nations had some useful write ups and Explorers Handbook was just cool.

But there was some talk of the mechanics in Magic of Eberron being busted and now I've got the book, I'm not entirely sure what they were on about.

The different types of magic seem like logical extensions to the previous stuff and while not particarly a 'break-out' product, I didnt think it was that bad a book.

What am I missing about Magic of Eberron?

SJE

ForceUser

Explorer
SJE said:
What am I missing about Magic of Eberron?
It's a well-produced book, but is a bit too crunchy and esoteric for me. It blurs the line between magic and technology much moreso than Eberron Campaign Setting, and reminds me a great deal of Shadowrun, especially the grafts and whatnot.

MoE is pretty out there thematically. Magic of Faerun is a better product.

Vocenoctum

First Post
First off, the main problem for me was that it was all over the place. there were 5-6 different magical types thrown togethor in a book in a format that didn't intertwine them well. Each of these was fine I suppose, but fit more for Dragon Magazine rather than combined into a book.

Half-Daelkyr are thematically fine, but the stats appear wrong, and something about the format makes it sort of bleh to me.

Taking elemental bonding from teh gnomes and making it yet another "We found it in Xen Drik" irked me greatly. It works for Warforged, but makes no sense to me for gnomes.

Basically, the book had a tossed togethor feel, and none of the magic felt cohesive or fully fleshed out.

Remathilis

Legend
my biggest complaint is is too much on grafts (which none of my PCs would touch with a 10' pole) and too little new MAGIC (spells, items).

The PrCs range from good to meh, but I'd LOVE to see an artificer PrC NOT tied to House Cannith...

The Origin of the Psiforged is out there. Don't like.

Aside, I LIKED the book. Go Fig.

Reynard

Legend
The only thing wrong with it, i think, was that there just wasn't enough of it: not enough spells, not enough items, and not enough information on magic in Eberron as a political and social force. I would have paid more for a book much longer and more thorough.

Remove ads