What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go back a good stretch (I am going from memory here), I believe "A Mighty Fortress" (2nd ed AD&D, I think, and based on Western Europe) had all the languages and the barriers to communication were down right hilarious and troubling. The first sessions initial meet in an Inn segment, ended up lasting three full sessions with multiple arguments and two fights breaking out. This all because in several cases only 1 person could translate for one to two other persons and this was repeated over a 10 player/character group. It was all kinds of mistranslation and misunderstanding. We still laugh about it now, all these decades later...and also will still never do that again, lol

This can get tricky to pull off, and it is often handy to have things like Common to navigate around it in settings, but I am a fan of more complicated linguistics in a campaign. When I world build one of the things I use to chart out the develop of cultures over time is areas by language group (if I know people who spoke language X were in area A on the map in 500 Not-BCE then migrated to area C on the Map in 45 not-CE, that not only helps paint a picture in my head of cultural change over time but it leaves an imprint on the map in terms of place names that suggests the history you create to the players (i.e. they can see this town in area A sounds a bit like some of the places they've been in area C). Also in terms of communication, I find it interesting if people need to work through tranlsators. This isn't for every campaign or every game. But I do like it.

I had A Might Fortress but I can't really recall the language stuff from it. Do remember liking that supplement. Would be interested if anyone can post some info.

Faolyn

(she/her)
You get villains who are truly bad guys. No one is going to be on their side. There's a surprisingly short list of groups you can put on that list at the moment.
OK, and?

I mean, if you want black-and-white morality, then OK, I can see how that's a good thing. But it's not that hard to have bad guys who aren't dyed-in-the-wool evil. One of my DMs is really good at making bad guys who are so smarmy that everyone wants to kill them.

Thourne

Hero
This can get tricky to pull off, and it is often handy to have things like Common to navigate around it in settings, but I am a fan of more complicated linguistics in a campaign. When I world build one of the things I use to chart out the develop of cultures over time is areas by language group (if I know people who spoke language X were in area A on the map in 500 Not-BCE then migrated to area C on the Map in 45 not-CE, that not only helps paint a picture in my head of cultural change over time but it leaves an imprint on the map in terms of place names that suggests the history you create to the players (i.e. they can see this town in area A sounds a bit like some of the places they've been in area C). Also in terms of communication, I find it interesting if people need to work through tranlsators. This isn't for every campaign or every game. But I do like it.

I had A Might Fortress but I can't really recall the language stuff from it. Do remember liking that supplement. Would be interested if anyone can post some info.
I just had to go dig it out of the basement closet.
It was the Country/Region of origin tables I was thinking of. They span from pages 48-50. They were used to determine country, region, religion and of course native language.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If you go back a good stretch (I am going from memory here), I believe "A Mighty Fortress" (2nd ed AD&D, I think, and based on Western Europe) had all the languages and the barriers to communication were down right hilarious and troubling. The first sessions initial meet in an Inn segment, ended up lasting three full sessions with multiple arguments and two fights breaking out. This all because in several cases only 1 person could translate for one to two other persons and this was repeated over a 10 player/character group. It was all kinds of mistranslation and misunderstanding. We still laugh about it now, all these decades later...and also will still never do that again, lol
Sounds fun to me, but I like languages.

The logical fallacy here is "tu quoque", specifically the "whataboutism" variant.

You cherrypicked one issue, but once you've introduced this logic, it comes down to, "If you aren't going to address all issues, you can't address any."

Or, in other words, you are making perfect the enemy of good, and we may not selectively pick our battles.

We should not bite on this bit of bait.
Yeah hard disagree on this attempt to shut down this line of questioning with the so often used "whataboutism" technique when no good reply seems to exist. This exact technique was actually addressed within a Meta forum funny enough.

What I listed was something primary within a game of D&D - not something odd or rare. If you (general you) introduce yet another parameter within the discussion of why x should be removed - you open yourself for others to use such parameter too. That's just how honest debate works. From what I've seen here whataboutism is often used counter difficult rebuttals.
We can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
OK, and?

I mean, if you want black-and-white morality, then OK, I can see how that's a good thing. But it's not that hard to have bad guys who aren't dyed-in-the-wool evil. One of my DMs is really good at making bad guys who are so smarmy that everyone wants to kill them.
And what else does it have to be? You asked what you get, I answered. In many, many adventures for many game systems you need bad guys. Many of those want bad guys who aren't sympathetic. There are not that many groups that you can do this with these days. If that's not what you want, it wouldn't be something you're looking for. I think that's about all there really is to say on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads