What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
And I explained to you that you're inference of what I meant, as opposed to what I actually said was mistaken.
And I likewise explained how what you meant was not accurately transmitted in what you actually wrote. If you're not suggesting that advertising and marketing are unnecessary so long as someone can find you via Google, then there's no real need to mention Google at all, is there?
But... but... freedom of speech. More seriously they have the right as long as it isn't slander, libel, or something similar to espouse their opinion about a product... You're basically arguing that it's ok for this creator to make what he wants but what is said about it must be controlled... What??
I'm not surprised that you're confused, here. A lot of people mistake discussions about "rights" (i.e. what you're legally allowed to do) with discussions about ethics and morals (which are technically different, but for simplicity we'll treat them as the same thing here), i.e. what's virtuous to do.

You have the legal right to try and drive someone else out of business, or at least make it harder for them to reach potential customers, via convincing distributors to cut ties with them, maligning them in journalistic outfits, publicly accusing them of moral corruption, etc. But just because you have the legal right to be an awful person doesn't mean it's a good thing to do, nor that anyone else should pretend otherwise when calling out how what you're doing is reprehensible.

mythago

Hero
Previously in this thread I have stated that you shouldn't remove the red crayon from the box, because it limits possibilities in storytelling.

Man, crayons are such a terrible analogy, but let's go with it again for a sec.

You get a set of Official D&D Crayons from WOTC. Turns out they no longer sell Burnt Umber because it was an unpopular color and a majority of people bought other crayon sets with colors they liked more. But you liked that color; the tree on that leaf outside your house is exactly the shade of Burnt Umber and you wanted to draw it. Good news though, WOTC has replaced Burnt Umber with Shimmery Gelatin so you can now draw a perfect gelatinous cube. And better news, the art supply store is full of crayons sold under the Open Drawing License, some of which contain Burnt Umber. You can also buy the dyes pretty cheap off Amazon if you want to mix your own crayons and don't quite like the premade versions.

Stories are not a zero-sum game.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Replace either with the demons or undead you mentioned, and I still wouldn't have a problem.

Fine. Play what you want, how you want. At your table, your tastes may be primary. Have fun.

I'm trying to have a discussion of broader concerns than what individuals here like or don't like.

Imaro

Legend
And I likewise explained how what you meant was not accurately transmitted in what you actually wrote. If you're not suggesting that advertising and marketing are unnecessary so long as someone can find you via Google, then there's no real need to mention Google at all, is there?

Yes there is...it's a tool that can HELP you find what you need through the internet. you can pretend it doesn't exist to strengthen your argument but in the real world it's a factor. It's like you're claiming the ONLY way to become aware of something is through being fed marketing and advertisements passively.

I'm not surprised that you're confused, here. A lot of people mistake discussions about "rights" (i.e. what you're legally allowed to do) with discussions about ethics and morals (which are technically different, but for simplicity we'll treat them as the same thing here), i.e. what's virtuous to do.

You have the legal right to try and drive someone else out of business, or at least make it harder for them to reach potential customers, via convincing distributors to cut ties with them, maligning them in journalistic outfits, publicly accusing them of various moral failings, etc. But just because you have the legal right to be an awful person doesn't mean it's a good thing to do, nor that anyone else should pretend otherwise when calling out how what you're doing is reprehensible.

My confusion arises because it's hard for me to grasp why you believe that your morals are some kind of objective truth. Someone having different values than you doesn't translate to them being an "awful" person... especially in the realm of capitalism and business.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Man, crayons are such a terrible analogy, but let's go with it again for a sec.

You get a set of Official D&D Crayons from WOTC. Turns out they no longer sell Burnt Umber because it was an unpopular color and a majority of people bought other crayon sets with colors they liked more. But you liked that color; the tree on that leaf outside your house is exactly the shade of Burnt Umber and you wanted to draw it. Good news though, WOTC has replaced Burnt Umber with Shimmery Gelatin so you can now draw a perfect gelatinous cube. And better news, the art supply store is full of crayons sold under the Open Drawing License, some of which contain Burnt Umber. You can also buy the dyes pretty cheap off Amazon if you want to mix your own crayons and don't quite like the premade versions.

Stories are not a zero-sum game.
Are people actively protesting the existence of Burnt Unber and want everyone to stop selling it, to the point where those who might want to offer it are too concerned about social stigma to do so, and in fact that same fear is why WotC decided to stop selling Burnt Umber?

Imaro

Legend
The amount of slavery depicted in the original Dark Sun material was acceptable to me.
So there is an "amount" of minimizing of slavery you will accept... you just want some slavery in your game though??

I'm trying to understand this... if your reason for wanting slavery is verisimilitude then don't you want it to be as realistic as possible... and if not how do you decide what is the line for acceptable vs not acceptable?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Fine. Play what you want, how you want. At your table, your tastes may be primary. Have fun.

I'm trying to have a discussion of broader concerns than what individuals here like or don't like.
And the horde of genocidal demons or undead are a broader concern that big companies shouldn't offer for sale in a product, despite their being clearly depicted as genocidal demons or undead? Is that what you're saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads