What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imaro

Legend
Are people actively protesting the existence of Burnt Unber and want everyone to stop selling it, to the point where those who might want to offer it are too concerned about social stigma to do so, and in fact that same fear is why WotC decided to stop selling Burnt Umber?
They're not concerned with social stigma... they're concerned with bottom lines. If there were enough people who wanted it and would actually buy it vs those who don't or don't care or who would hold it against WotC... they would publish it. What this really feels like is an argument of market preferences and being on the loosing side.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So there is an "amount" of minimizing of slavery you will accept... you just want some slavery in your game though??

I'm trying to understand this... if your reason for wanting slavery is verisimilitude then don't you want it to be as realistic as possible... and if not how do you decide what is the line for acceptable vs not acceptable?
Do we go into the full implications of every aspect of everything included in a game product?

Dark Sun has and still has its fans, to keep using that example. Are you saying that those people shouldn't like the setting as originally depicted?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Yes there is...it's a tool that can HELP you find what you need through the internet. you can pretend it doesn't exist to strengthen your argument but in the real world it's a factor. It's like you're claiming the ONLY way to become aware of something is through being fed marketing and advertisements passively.
No one is pretending it doesn't exist; given that you just complained about your argument being misrepresented, I'm surprised that you're misrepresenting mine now. The issue is that Google in no way ameliorates the difficulties of a small publisher reaching potential customers when a vocal minority has taken it upon themselves to try and make that as difficult as possible for said publisher. That EN World has an entire forum dedicated to promotions and press releases makes that clear enough. That Google exists is clearly a minor (at most) part of any company's strategy of raising awareness, since it's obvious that you have to actively make people aware of your product rather than hope they stumble across you the way they would on a Google search.
My confusion arises because it's hard for me to grasp why you believe that your morals are some kind of objective truth. Someone having different values than you doesn't translate to them being an "awful" person... especially in the realm of capitalism and business.
I was under the impression that vilifying someone for making, selling, and enjoying a piece of fiction that you don't like was a self-evidently bad thing to do; clearly, you disagree. Likewise, capitalism and business are by their very nature amoral practices, but that's not the same for someone trying to inflict economic harm on someone else because doing so satisfies their own sense of righteous indignation.

Imaro

Legend
The more bland, boring, vanilla and sanitized WoTC's products become, the better it will be for 3rd party creators, IMO.

It will be interesting to watch market trends over the next few years.

Yep because they've really been outpacing WotC during their run with 5e... Wait no, the game is selling better than it has in years with no sign of slowing down. The thing is you need that base so you can then choose your particular add-ons. The market for a purely grimdark, or a sword and slavery, or even romantic fantasy game is going to be magnitudes narrower than a more vanilla, kitchen sink game... especially one that you can customize in those ways if you want to through either official sourcebooks or 3PP sourcebooks...

Micah Sweet

They're not concerned with social stigma... they're concerned with bottom lines. If there were enough people who wanted it and would actually buy it vs those who don't or don't care or who would hold it against WotC... they would publish it. What this really feels like is an argument of market preferences and being on the loosing side.
See to me, the main reasons to hold anything against a company are bad business practices, anti-inclusiveness, and bad product. Making a product you don't like shouldn't be held against the company, instead it is a reason to not buy that product.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Slavery is a major (some could argue THE Major) component of Dark Sun society...not a one time throwaway plot device. No one is arguing slavery can't be mentioned or exist in D&D but a one liner or reference a group can choose to use vs. your entire world being based around it aren't the same thing...
They literally are. See changes to Mind Flayers and Yuwn-Ti among others.

Faolyn

(she/her)
There are multiple justifications, but with regard to the context of presenting it from a standpoint of world-building, the justification is verisimilitude. Simply put, there's a point where all of the underlying factors that should result in institutionalized slavery are present, and so its not being there becomes noticeable enough that it impinges on suspension of disbelief.
So you are also making your players get STDs, PTSD, and infected wounds, right? You're making sure they suffer lasting scars after every battle, and melting their faces off when a dragon breathes fire or acid on them? (I had a player once who refused to take any spells that inflict acid damage because she had seen photos of women who'd suffered from having acid thrown on them. Even after we assured her that it was magic and didn't leave lasting disfigurements.)

If you're not including things like that, then you don't actually care about verisimilitude. What you care about is things that provide fun plot points for the game.

Micah Sweet

So you are also making your players get STDs, PTSD, and infected wounds, right? You're making sure they suffer lasting scars after every battle, and melting their faces off when a dragon breathes fire or acid on them? (I had a player once who refused to take any spells that inflict acid damage because she had seen photos of women who'd suffered from having acid thrown on them. Even after we assured her that it was magic and didn't leave lasting disfigurements.)

If you're not including things like that, then you don't actually care about verisimilitude. What you care about is things that provide fun plot points for the game.
So it's all or nothing? Simulation as a playstyle doesn't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads