D&D 5E What will be the fifth product this year?

Mercurius

Legend
Consider:

2019: Four hardcovers + Essentials Kit (also, Tyranny of Dragons and a couple alternate starter sets)
2020: Four hardcovers + Strahd Revamped
2021: Four hardcovers (presumably) + ?

Also consider that for the first time in the last few years of four hardcovers (from 2018 on), WotC has two set to be published through May. Last year Theros was planned for May but pushed back to July; in 2019, the first two books came out in May and June; in 2018 the second didn't come out until September. In other words, after May there are seven months, which gives plenty of time for (at least) three products to be spread out (Sept, Nov x2?).

I believe there has always been a product in November, and almost always in September - so I think those are two slots, with a possible second product in November (holidays and all), or possibly August.

So it seems very likely that we'll see a fifth "special" product. Could that be a Dragonlance box set? Something new and unforeseen? What do you think?

EDIT: I should add that I posted this before seeing this thread. As I said there, I was tempted to say in this thread that I could see them upping the core product release to five books. After 2014, we had three years of three hardcovers (2015-17), and then three years of four hardcovers (2018-20), so I could see them upping that to give this year and perhaps beyond (2021-23), with 2024 being the isomorphic to 2014 as the "new edition" (revision) and anniversary.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Consider:

2019: Four hardcovers + Essentials Kit (also, Tyranny of Dragons and a couple alternate starter sets)
2020: Four hardcovers + Strahd Revamped
2021: Four hardcovers (presumably) + ?

Also consider that for the first time in the last few years of four hardcovers (from 2018 on), WotC has two set to be published through May. Last year Theros was planned for May but pushed back to July; in 2019, the first two books came out in May and June; in 2018 the second didn't come out until September. In other words, after May there are seven months, which gives plenty of time for (at least) three products to be spread out (Sept, Nov x2?).

I believe there has always been a product in November, and almost always in September - so I think those are two slots, with a possible second product in November (holidays and all), or possibly August.

So it seems very likely that we'll see a fifth "special" product. Could that be a Dragonlance box set? Something new and unforeseen? What do you think?

EDIT: I should add that I posted this before seeing this thread. As I said there, I was tempted to say in this thread that I could see them upping the core product release to five books. After 2014, we had three years of three hardcovers (2015-17), and then three years of four hardcovers (2018-20), so I could see them upping that to give this year and perhaps beyond (2021-23), with 2024 being the isomorphic to 2014 as the "new edition" (revision) and anniversary.

Personally, I'd like to see a box that was a sequel to the Essentials Kit, with a more tactical take.

Meaning, it comes with miniatures. And either a dry-erase map, or cardboard tiles or something with maps. I want a box that makes it way easier for folks to imagine making their own game of "tactical D&D."

Now, I've suggested this before, and folks have come out swinging at me about how expensive that would be. And I agree, this would be the more expensive than pretty much all of D&D's current 5E offerings. But I do think such a box is economically feasible, especially if it contains 4-5 minis for PCs and paper miniatures for monsters. And there are now rumors circling than Hasbro is expanding the miniatures line to include premium, paint-them-yourself plastic miniatures.

Beadle & Grimm are already showing that these boxes can sell, and if you need true proof, look at Games Workshop and their boxed sets.

This box contains 44 miniatures, and costs $150. Now, I don't think this "Tactical D&D Box" needs nearly as many minis (only 4-5 plastic pcs, the rest can be paper), so it can be a fraction of this cost. I would say about $100, much like the Curse of Strahd Revamped box.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases