What would elemental-driven war magic look like?

Gilladian

Adventurer
I'm creating a 3.5 edition (E6 Limit) campaign where a cluster of city-states feud constantly, with border disputes, occasional flare-ups into open warfare, and constant sniping, bickering and deceit. Magic revolves around the binding and use of elementals - I'm not going to have potions be drinks, but instead be bottles that contain tiny elementals that "do something" when released to grant the potion's effect, for example. And then, once freed, the elemental is able to leave, of course.

So magi-tech has reached the degree of simple steam engines, but NOT guns and gunpowder; if I'm forced to use projectile weapons, I'll use standard crossbow stats, nothing better. I know, it may not make sense, but that's what I'll go with because it is what I want. What OTHER things would/might exist? I'm thinking a few rudimentary tanks, simple/small balloons or primitive airships and maybe single-person ornithopters? Nothing that would require magic beyond a 4th level spell to produce. (E6 limits to 3rd level spells, but I'll allow some 4th level magic with rituals performed by larger groups, etc...).

Gilladian

Adventurer
Weather Machines.

Ooh! Good one! I can see each city having a large protective machine, and then portable offensive ones for attacking enemy border forts, etc... And secret installations smuggled into enemy cities to override their protections.

Dandu

First Post
Directional drilling - bore into someone else's aquifer at an angle from the safety of your own territory for shenanigans.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Hmmm... that sounds like it would be a good adventure hook. Either the PCs stumble across a group who are attempting to build a machine that can bore such tunnels, or they find a fort on the border, with everyone inside dead, and a mysterious tunnel leading off somewhere. What made it? Why? How?

Or - they're hired to investigate HOW one city managed to capture the border fort of a second city; there's no trace of a siege or attack, and city A claims that they simply found the fort abandoned and walked in... but where are the defenders?

Remove ads