D&D 5E What would the a hypothetical sixth book be?

Will there be a sixth book in 2022 and, if so, what will be?

• Yes - a third adventure

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Yes - a new setting

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Yes - a Magic setting

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Yes - a second splat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - something else/other/hybrid

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No - they'll stick with five books and/or the "new format" will cover necessary bases

Votes: 7 41.2%

Mercurius

Legend
Wizards of the Coast has gradually expanded their yearly out-put of books from three (2015-17) to four (2018-20) to five (2021). Now it may be that they'll stabilize at five for a couple more years, and continue with the pattern of increasing the book count every third year (so not until 2024).

But let's say they're moving up to six in 2022. What would that sixth book be?

In 2021, we have two adventures (one story arc, one compilation), two settings (one classic, one other), and one splat. I think that basic formula of 2-2-1 is the default assumption for next year and beyond.

For 2022, we know about the splat (Monsters of the Multiverse) and one of the adventures (Call of the Neverdeep), and we also know that two classic settings will be published. The fifth book is likely to be another adventure, possibly a compilation if they want to go with one comp and one story arc per year.

As I see it, the candidates for a hypothetical sixth book would be:
  • A third adventure. This would makes more sense since the announcement of Neverdeep, because they probably still want to publish a Realms-based adventure, and with two classic settings coming out, at least one of them may require some kind of adventure to go along with it (e.g. it is hard to imagine how a single book could cover both the Krynn setting and the War of the Lance, or an adventure of similar scope).
  • A new setting. One of the two rumored to be in production, although they've said neither are fully greenlighted and they may not be ready in 2022.
  • A Magic setting. So far they've done one in 2018, 2020, and 2021. Not sure if this means they're moving up to one per year, but my guess is that it is more like one every six quarters, or every year and half. Theros was Spring of 2020 and Strixhaven Autumn of 2021, so if true, the next Magic book would be Spring of 2023.
  • A second splat. We do know that they tend to sell better than other categories (except core, of course), but it seems they're sticking true to not wanting to glut the game and thus probably won't publish more than 1/year, but that could change.
  • Other/hybrid. Maybe the sixth book is a "rotating spot." Some years one thing, some another. Or maybe it is a surprise or hybrid of some of the above (although to some degree, all the books are already hybrids).

Another factor to consider is the "new format" that is supposed to be used for the classic settings. If these new formats include a higher page count--either a box set and/or a slipcase with multiple books, or possibly online supplements to expand a hardcover book--then the need for an extra adventure, and even a sixth product diminishes.

So what do you think? Will there be a sixth book and, if so, what will it be?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Well, you're kind of missing a book already confirmed; CR's Netherdeep adventure.

So what we know (or is very probable) is 2 classic settings, 1 adventure compilation, and the Netherdeep.book. That's already four books. Then you'll probably have a new story arc book like always. So 5.

So if there's a 6, it's probably splat (rules like Tasha's, or monsters like Fizban's). But I don't know if there will be a splat, as I think 2019 skipped those in favor of settings.

Leaning on 5 myself, 6 if there is a rules/monster book coming.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'll add, Netherdeep's release in March is tracking with the 2020 release schedule (the first release of 2020 was Candlekeep, also in March). So for now, I'm not super confident they'll go for 6 books in 2021.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
After the revised and combined Tyranny of Dragons, I think they might try the same with Elemental Evil, combining Princes of the Apocalypse and Out of the Abyss. A nice Hydro74 cover and I would buy it.

Mercurius

Legend
Well, you're kind of missing a book already confirmed; CR's Netherdeep adventure.
I mentioned Netherdeep in the "For 2022" paragraph. Are you not reading my posts closely, Urriah? ;)
So what we know (or is very probable) is 2 classic settings, 1 adventure compilation, and the Netherdeep.book. That's already four books. Then you'll probably have a new story arc book like always. So 5.

So if there's a 6, it's probably splat (rules like Tasha's, or monsters like Fizban's). But I don't know if there will be a splat, as I think 2019 skipped those in favor of settings.
Not quite. What we know is 2 classic settings, Netherdeep, and Monsters of the Multiverse, which takes the "splat slot." That's 4 books.

My argument for a possible 6th book is that if 4 are already confirmed and they're going with 5 again, that is just 1 slot left for four possibilities that have been mentioned: a Realms-based story arc, an adventure compilation, a Magic setting, and a new setting.

IGiven that the new settings are in development and I could them holding off on another Magic book until 2023, I think the most likely option is one of the following:

1. A Realms-based story arc and an adventure compilation (6 books total)
2. A Realms-based story arc only (5 books)
3. An adventure compilation only, possibly Realms-based (5 books)

Remove ads