D&D 5E () What would you want for 5e Birthright?

CapnZapp

Legend
First off, a short summary, since this campaign world is perhaps less known to recent gamers:

• player characters (and some NPCs) are special, more special than normal, having bloodline powers.
  • Iconic monsters like "The Spider" or "The Werewolf" are leaders of their own countries. That's not a Spider, it's the Spider, a powerful monster-king with plans of his own. The term is "awnsheghlien", meaning someone given great dark powers by twisted corruption. Basically, it could be you except you got vampire powers and became really powerful and evil, and took the name "The Vampire", reshaping an entire country to match your mood. It's a bit like Highlander in that you kill other powerful leaders and take their power (and hope it doesn't corrupt you).
  • the campaign world supports domain-level play, where bloodline characters are leaders of their chosen nation and generate regency points, of which there are four kinds, one for each of the four base classes: law (fighters), temple (clerics), source (wizards) and guild (rogues). Points can then be used to raise armies, cast mighty spells, and develop your country's provinces. There is an economic map with loads of provinces, and conquering a rich province can be a goal in itself for players, or just a necessary stepping-stone in order to be able to defend the borders against the Spider's marauding troops...
  • the world Cerilia consists of many nations, grouped in five broad ethnic groups. So you'll have all the faux medieval Europe nations here, all the rugged mountaneous Scandi-Slavic nations over there, the desert people with their magical cities somewhere else. Sprinkled in among these are your stock elf forest kingdoms, your dwarf underground kingdoms, and... the Gorgon and its country there, the Sphinx and her country over there.

What would a 5E version look like?

Basically what's cool about the setting is the notion that iconic monsters have risen to become leaders of their own distinct countries, and that there is support for what happens when that iconic monster raises an army to invade your home country. That's what sets Birthright apart imo.

The actual world is pretty samey, with lots of indistinguishable versions of western kingdoms here, several Arabic nations there, and so on. It's so large and interchangeable. And it's obviously in need of a stereotype cleanup. Basically, the question needs to be asked: would 5E be better served by a new much "tighter" map, where you start with the idea to focus on one corner of the world (with maybe 20 nations), but then make sure to include real diversity (and not just 20 different faux-scandinavian forested independent-but-proud nations), cutting out the chaff. Only include as many nations as you're able to make feel different! A new map, a new world but with the core ideas of the old AD&D setting.

As for bloodlines I definitely feel the 5E way would be to simply say that any player character is by default a special person. No cluttery bloodlines powers needed or wanted. If you don't have regency, you're a NPC. Simple. In AD&D it was already very common to simulate a living breathing campaign world by giving NPCs class levels. You would discuss how many level 7 fighters or level 4 paladins etc a given city could support, for instance. Thus it was felt heroes with bloodlines needed extra bloodline powers to elevate them above "regular level 7 fighters". Since 5E doesn't work that way (which is great), I suggest simply that what in other campaign worlds is a "regular hero" in Birthright is a special hero. Same stats, no extra rules.

As for the domain layer of play, I have a sneaking suspicion the numbers were basically just made up. It was enough to support a GMs hand-holding but nothing that stood up against real scrutiny. Compare to a board game. A board game needs to be balanced in some sense. Its numbers can't just be made up or there is no challenge. Most economic tidbits in rpgs just doesn't work. Either it's trivial to get rich or you would bankrupt your organization as soon as you tried gaming out the rules. I suspect this layer could benefit the most from getting a brand new do-over, assuming its developers are given enough time to actually get it right.

In summary:

Cerilia as a game world is a bit naff and the cool ideas of Birthright would probably be better served by a new map. The things I would get a 5E Birthright module for is the economic overlay, and the old one is probably not worth using as a starting point. The other thing I want is the cool monster kings - and their nations - and of course: adventure material that marries regular adventuring with domain-level rewards. After all, you're gaming in Birthright because hunting down that beast or finding out who's poisoning your village well is part of a greater whole. You don't just do it because you're sell-swords, you're doing it because the beast hinders development of your province or chokes an important trade route, and the poisoned wells is a sabotage campaign by raiders from the neighboring country...

Space to can add supernatural factions (vampire clans, werebeast tribes, spellcaster brotherhoods, fae noble houses, ghost guilds..) with their own palace intrigues.

I suggest some an app in your tablet to can manage the domains, economy, building strongholds and those things.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Im not too familiar with it so any update would be appreciated. This seems like a good system to run a Game of Thrones type of game.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The nations that are total expies of real world groups should be double-checked, of course. The rules for domain-management should be streamlined, but with added options for complexity. I don't know if any nations are elven, dwarf, etc., but there should be some--and more than one of each. As well as the more supernatural ones, like @LuisCarlos17f suggested. In addition to the domain management stuff, it should also support people who just want to do standard adventuring (or pathfinding for expanding territory).

Stormonu

Legend
Pronounceable names. I understand the original author wanted a specific theme, but gawd did it make it impossible to remember/pronounce most of the names in the books.

Also needs a mass battle system and a good system for ruling that plays well with a group and not as a solo game.

The awn… (not even going to try) were an excellent idea for unique foes, and I like them very much as a sort of “progenitor of monsters”. The Gorgon as sort of an end-campaign boss (or the threat of one) was a good idea, but I hated he was so close to the “starting kingdom” you were sort of expected to play.

Personally, I think Birthright should be torn down to its ideas (regency, strongholds and rulership) and rebuilt from the ground up with the original campaign world taking a hike.

Stormonu

Legend
As for the domain layer of play, I have a sneaking suspicion the numbers were basically just made up. It was enough to support a GMs hand-holding but nothing that stood up against real scrutiny. Compare to a board game. A board game needs to be balanced in some sense. Its numbers can't just be made up or there is no challenge. Most economic tidbits in rpgs just doesn't work. Either it's trivial to get rich or you would bankrupt your organization as soon as you tried gaming out the rules. I suspect this layer could benefit the most from getting a brand new do-over, assuming its developers are given enough time to actually get it right.
BTW, the domain play came from a boardgame version they used to playtest the campaign world. TSR used to run the boardgame version at Gencon and made it available on their website, usable with the Birthright conspectus map.

Attachments

• BoardGame.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 150

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd like something resembling Fantasy AGE (Green Ronin)'s rules for Mass combat and organizations (which can be domains or guilds or whatever). In this system, Armies and Organizations have ''character sheets'' pretty close to a normal character.

So a Dm might decide that each player can have, let's say, 1 organization turn and 1 army turn per game night after the usual dungeon delving of the main characters of the campaign to let the players decide the direction taken by their domain or armies.

Or a Dm might decide that one game night every three game night will be fully dedicated to Army and Domains.

All of this is pretty streamlined and use the actual mechanics of the game instead of being a whole other system bolted on the 5e's one (looking at you Stronghold and Followers...)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Strongholds and Followers, Kingdoms and Warfare.... except not quite as complicated, and more integrated with play. Meaning, the PCs can actually be in the fight, much like how Dimension 20 did it in their Crown of Candy stream.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases