Spelljammer What Would Your Ideal Spelljammer Book Be Like?

Bolares

Hero
Giff have no mention of firearms or gunpowder in their whole description, and Scro are nowhere to be seen
I'd say Giff don't have firearms because that's a cultural thing, and WotC is moving away from giving races cultural features. I don't think the UA is a sign Giff will not be gun nuts goin foward. And Scro aren't just orcs in space? What in the Eberron Orc wouldn't fit a Scro?

Argyle King

Legend
I'm of the impression that a lot of people (including myself) aren't very familiar with Spelljammer at this point in time.

As such, I think it would be a good opportunity to make some sort of boxed set or "beginner set" as an entry point into the setting and as a way for interested group to dip their toe in the water.

The Beginner Set for Pathfinder 1 is a good example of what it might look like: quick rules primer, brief overview of what to expect from the game/world, and an introductory adventure with just enough info to get a game moving.

If they go more of the plane-hopping Sigil route, maybe the boxed set could give general info about Sigil and then also briefly advertise other settings. It could literally serve as the gateway product for other settings/places (for both Magic and D&D).

see

Pedantic Grognard
But they could be combined into one product, without combine the mode of travel correct?

Couldn’t use planescape portals (Sigil) to get to different planes of reality, and spelljammers to navigate the Prime?
You could present Dark Sun and Dragonlance as separate settings in one single book, too. It just wouldn't make any sense at all to actually do that.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'd say Giff don't have firearms because that's a cultural thing, and WotC is moving away from giving races cultural features. I don't think the UA is a sign Giff will not be gun nuts goin foward.
I know, and I overall like this change. However, I wish that the UA at least mentioned that Giff typically love firearms.
And Scro aren't just orcs in space? What in the Eberron Orc wouldn't fit a Scro?
They're more intelligent, and I think they're skinnier. However, those probably wouldn't be racial features.

As for "what in the Eberron Orc wouldn't fit Scro", probably the Aggressive feature and Primal Intuition. Scro aren't "Primal", they're militaristic, like Hobgoblins.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That's why I've asked about the Eberron orc. And rithout ASIs would it fit? I'm asking because I have little to no familiarity with the Scro
Scro are just a more advanced civilized Orc, who dont suffer sunlight blindness - they’re described as ‘taller, stronger, smarter and more upright than normal orcs” but in a game with no fixed ASI theres really nothing to distinguish Scro, Ebberon Orcs or normal Orcs other than culture

see

Pedantic Grognard
Which, of course, raises a question . . . why not just replace scro with hobgoblins? The scro role is being the organized, militaristic backbone of the goblinoid war fleets. In 5th edition, "goblinoid" is already more restricted in meaning than 2nd edition, and hobgoblins are already the organized, militaristic leaders of goblinoids at war.

By making the substitution, one avoids the whole "respectable, civilized threat versus contemptible, unenlightened barbarians" trope that was the whole essence of the scro vs. orcs dichotomy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases