• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whatever happened to Monster Makeover?

Fishbone

First Post
Anybody else really want to see what the makeovers could have accomplished? The discussions around the 3 makeovers were some of the most fun and thought provoking things about monster creation, tweaking, and design I'd read on the intratubes.
I just bought Mearls Monster Handbook from the FFG special and after using it a few times I found myself saying "Where have you been all my life?"
I'm not sure what the deal is, maybe he is really busy or something.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's not called Monster Makeover, and it's not by Mike Mearls, but WotC's Elite Opponents articles have been listing three variants for monsters for at least a little while now. The last one was earlier this month, based on unicorns.

Vocenoctum

First Post
I can't really remember all the details, but I think the Makeover requires both inspiration and free time for Mearls more than WotC saying "hey, make that". Probably got busy with real work and it fell to the wayside for now. :)

Nyaricus

First Post
Turjan said:
It may also be that the public reaction was a bit too controversial ;).
I personally loved seeing those; they were pretty fun, all-in-all. But the self-heaing weaposn from the rust monster attacsk was kinda... odd :uhoh:

mearls

Hero
The series is still around. It's just a matter of making time for it, since work for the web site is on top of all my other responsibilities in R&D. It's essentially freelance work that I do when I can. I haven't had much free time for it, especially with work on the D&D Open ramping up for GenCon '07.

Nyaricus

First Post
mearls said:
The series is still around. It's just a matter of making time for it, since work for the web site is on top of all my other responsibilities in R&D. It's essentially freelance work that I do when I can. I haven't had much free time for it, especially with work on the D&D Open ramping up for GenCon '07.
I love it when we get responses striahgt from The Man himself :D

Mike, as an aside, I started up a thread here awhile back asking which monster EN Worlders would do a makeover of. Feel free to snatch ideas from it (linky link).

cheers,
--N

Felon

First Post
There was a poll to see which monster Mike should give a makeover to next. The mind flayer was the winner, which delighted me to no ends since I'd always found it a tactically bankrupt monster, with one overwhelming attack option and a bunch of not-so-great spell-like abilities. So it's mind blast, mind blast, mind blast, and by then the illithid's either dead or it's a TPK.

I'm sorry that nothing ever came of it.

Remove ads