Whatever happened to Necromancer Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicht

Hero
Paizo is indeed doing some good stuff with their various 3pp partners. The paper models for example are a top notch idea.

I'm not sure it is completely accurate to say that Paizo is doing good stuff with the 3pps. For instance, they are not responsible at all for the paper minis. What they are doing is creating an open environment in which they encourage other people to create. Which is what an open license should do. In other words, the Paper minis are a perfect example of what happens in an open gaming environment.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm not sure it is completely accurate to say that Paizo is doing good stuff with the 3pps. For instance, they are not responsible at all for the paper minis. What they are doing is creating an open environment in which they encourage other people to create. Which is what an open license should do. In other words, the Paper minis are a perfect example of what happens in an open gaming environment.

I'm going to completely disagree because they've put them on the front page of their own store which is not something even remotely required. They've also talked about how useful they were. They talk about utility.

To me, that's going well and way above what the OGL itself does.

Imagine if someone at WoTC said something about FIery Dragon's products? It'd be huge. "Man, we found the tolkens in this so useful I can't imagine why we're not doing it ourselves!"

Wicht

Hero
I'm going to completely disagree because they've put them on the front page of their own store which is not something even remotely required. They've also talked about how useful they were. They talk about utility.

To me, that's going well and way above what the OGL itself does.

Imagine if someone at WoTC said something about FIery Dragon's products? It'd be huge. "Man, we found the tolkens in this so useful I can't imagine why we're not doing it ourselves!"

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. Paizo staff has said bluntly that they are not responsible in any way for the Paper minis (EDIT: To be clear, the paper minis bearing the Pathfinder Logo are produced under license but Paizo has no real part to play in how or when they come out and they have said so more than once). But you are correct that they advertise and promote them.

And that is exactly my point. Paizo puts all sorts of things up on their front page and in their blog. (though I don't see the paper minis that prominently on the front page at the moment, I know they have been mentioned ). They regularly point to all the 3pp that support them and Lisa mentions all sorts of non-paizo related stuff as well on the store blog (Like 4e merchandise). Some of that is because they are advertising things their store sells (naturally) but others are simply because they are gamers first and they are promoting gaming. A great example of this is the frequent shoutouts to chaosium in the APs and modules; Chaosium of course is a company that is not OGL nor in direct support of Paizo.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
All Joe is saying is that Paizo works with 3pp PF publishers in a way that WOTC never, ever, did. They advertise them on their front page. I got to Paizo boards several times a day, and I know the first thing I saw many times were advertisements for 3pp products for PAthfinder. Go to their products forum on their message boards and not only do you talk about Paizo products, but 3pp PF products, as well as the stuff sold in their store.

Something the suites at WOTC would have never allowed, and likely never will.

So Paizo supports and promotes even the 3pp's, who are clearly "competition", but Paizo is classy enough to share their field.

Wicht

Hero
All Joe is saying is that Paizo works with 3pp PF publishers in a way that WOTC never, ever, did. They advertise them on their front page. I got to Paizo boards several times a day, and I know the first thing I saw many times were advertisements for 3pp products for PAthfinder. Go to their products forum on their message boards and not only do you talk about Paizo products, but 3pp PF products, as well as the stuff sold in their store.

Something the suites at WOTC would have never allowed, and likely never will.

So Paizo supports and promotes even the 3pp's, who are clearly "competition", but Paizo is classy enough to share their field.

Okay. I agree with that and its what I thought I was saying too:).

Wicht

Hero
Paizo has an online store that sells a lot of these products. Of course they promote them.

Their promotion however comes across as being more than just trying to sell product for the sake of a sale. Like I pointed out, they have even give space to a non OGL game/company in the pages of their flagship product more than once. Not as a paid advertisement but as a goodwill gesture towards another game and gaming system. When Lisa posts on her store blog about products she is herself using, its not just a salespitch, its the testimonial of a fellow gamer.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Their promotion however comes across as being more than just trying to sell product for the sake of a sale. Like I pointed out, they have even give space to a non OGL game/company in the pages of their flagship product more than once. Not as a paid advertisement but as a goodwill gesture towards another game and gaming system. When Lisa posts on her store blog about products she is herself using, its not just a salespitch, its the testimonial of a fellow gamer.

Right. I guess I was misreading your saying that the OGL itself was promoting the 'open environment as opposed to Paizo going well beyond anything required in that field and standing up and kicking ass in the name of righteous gaming.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Because Call of Cthulhu is AWESOME, that's why! :)

Also, I approve that these boards correctly spellchecked the word "Cthulhu" and corrected my initial fast-typing of "Ctulhu" to the correct spelling.

Iä Chaosium!
Iä Enworld!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads