• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's more fun - a die or a number?

What's more fun - a die or a number

• A static number

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • An extra die

Votes: 29 64.4%

Voadam

Legend
I am with The Sword, in general a flat number is better for speed and ease at the table, with some situational exceptions.

Adding a d4 to a d20 attack roll requires grabbing up two different types of die at the table and adding two dice plus a modifier in the middle of what should be a fast paced combat. The more people at the table the more this is a problem.

Adding a die after the fact as an action die/hero point is a great mechanic that I endorse for a puply/cinematic hero feel, but so would a mechanic to spend the hero point to flat out succeed on that roll.

Advantage is a simple fast mechanic at the table, I like it a lot and more than tons of situational flat numbers. Two dice of the same type and use the better one when there are no other dice to track is quick and easy and is great for replacing tons of other situational modifiers that slow things down. 4e's flat +2 tactical advantage was great and easy to apply broadly too.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Given that I play on FG I don't have to pick up an extra die, I don't have to do extra math. An extra die looks and "feels" more enjoyable and significant. I think the same if I were playing in person too, but it would have the draw back (very minor to me) of having to pick up the extra die and do the math.

I went with "extra die", but I agree that in a virtual gaming environment "rolling" dice - even if there's 3-D dice displayed and bouncing around the screen - is less fun, and pretty close to just adding the bonus and not rolling the extra die at all.

I particularly like exploding dice, so re 5E and just off the top of my head, if I roll a natural 20 and max out on the bonus (Bless, Bardic Inspiration, etc) die, it'd be cool if I got something better than whatever the table's standard crit bonus is. I dunno - just thinking out loud.

I went with "extra die", but I agree that in a virtual gaming environment "rolling" dice - even if there's 3-D dice displayed and bouncing around the screen - is less fun, and pretty close to just adding the bonus and not rolling the extra die at all.
I think that's the opposite of what I was trying to say :)

MarkB

Legend
In D&D, I find adding an extra die to a d20 roll clunky, but it works when adding it to a damage roll. I think that's simply down to how the system operates - normal practice is to roll one die for an attack, check or save and then add a fixed bonus, whereas using multiple dice for damage is reasonably common.

I find the d4 additions to checks from Bless or Guidance particularly annoying because A, people forget to add the Bless dice or pipe up at the last minute with Guidance and it interrupts play as they then fish out and roll the d4; B, it's the die most statistically likely to roll a 1 and be disappointing; and C, it's a small enough bonus that even a 4 won't make the difference between success and failure in the majority of cases. Lots of extra hassle for very little result.

aco175

Legend
Much rather have the extra die. Having a magic sword with +3 fire or +1d6 fire, or a bless with +2 to hit or +1d4. Feels much more dramatic with the chance of +1 or +6 (4).

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Extra dice is generally speaking better, though it is situational, I guess. Barbarian bonus damage should definitely be a bonus damage die

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
In D&D, I find adding an extra die to a d20 roll clunky, but it works when adding it to a damage roll. I think that's simply down to how the system operates - normal practice is to roll one die for an attack, check or save and then add a fixed bonus, whereas using multiple dice for damage is reasonably common.

I find the d4 additions to checks from Bless or Guidance particularly annoying because A, people forget to add the Bless dice or pipe up at the last minute with Guidance and it interrupts play as they then fish out and roll the d4; B, it's the die most statistically likely to roll a 1 and be disappointing; and C, it's a small enough bonus that even a 4 won't make the difference between success and failure in the majority of cases. Lots of extra hassle for very little result.

Your first point is a very good one, and as for d4s - they're just annoying to "roll", because they don't really roll, they just kind of "plop". The rod-like d4s are better, but still less satisfying that a 6(or higher)-sided die, just because with fewer sides they still tend to just land and be done. :(

MarkB

Legend
Your first point is a very good one, and as for d4s - they're just annoying to "roll", because they don't really roll, they just kind of "plop". The rod-like d4s are better, but still less satisfying that a 6(or higher)-sided die, just because with fewer sides they still tend to just land and be done. :(
I think you can get 12-sided d4s, which are at least more satisfying to roll.

Just don't pick one up accidentally to roll damage for your barbarian's greataxe. 🙂

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I like giving new dice (or adjusting dice size) for general in game bonuses. I tend to prefer bonuses for inherent character abilities, though. Something like Alternity's changing die bonus or Shadow of the Demon Lord's boon/bane system hit a real sweet spot for me, personally.

Remove ads