D&D (2024) What's not going to cost discipline points for the Monk to do now?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Maybe you'd hear other thoughts and opinions about the monk without all the open vitriol and defamation for them and the optimizer community?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Looking through this thread, it seems like the Monk is going to be one of the remaining rest dependent classes in 2024. With short rests as an hour, that can be really problematic in the fiction when time limits come into play.

For me, I'd look at a "D&D adjacent" game that handles Monks really well: PF2. The PF2 Monk basically makes resources optional by giving special powers in the form of Focus Spells. You don't have to use these with your character if you don't want to. The core of the Monk: the flurry of blows/extra unarmed damage/better AC and even stunning fist are just baked into the class.

That's the basis I'd use to redesign a Monk: if you want special limited use powers, okay, you can do that. If not, you can perform the class' core features on the level of a cantrip character. This would mean you would not be so concerned with rests to balance what you expect the Monk's core features to be.

Remove ads