D&D 5E What's really useful on a DM screen?

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Because I’m only playing online right now, I haven’t used a physical DM screen in ages. But I can say that it would have been really handy to have had cover rules at my fingertips in last nights game. Fortunately one of my players is a rules encyclopedia. I agree with conditions being helpful as well.

Lyxen

Great Old One
When you buy a DM screen, what info do you find really useful?
Nothing actually, I never look up anything there, remembering is enough in most cases, otherwise it's deep enough that a search enging gives me the answer quicker.

I still have them mostly for the ambiance and because they look nice...

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
I bought a 'blank' DM screen so I could put custo panels for my 1e game, it has things like encounter reactions, morale adjustments, Weapon type vs AC. Things I use but (at the time) hadn't quite memorized.

I have the 5e screen that came with the box set, which I find handy as I'm not as well versed with 5e, so having conditions and such right in front of me makes it easier, even though my newly minted 5e campaign is online. The screen is also low enough as to not obstruct my monitor. :D

Retreater

Legend
It really depends on the system. If we're talking AD&D, things like THAC0 charts, weapon speed modifiers, saving throws are useful.
If we're talking D&D 5e or PF2, things like condition descriptions, DC charts, descriptions of skills. If there are special properties for weapons/armor, that is useful. Range bands for ranged weapons.
What's never useful to me are things like random NPC charts, rolling for random events. That's stuff I do before the game, and if I need that during the game, the DM Screen won't have enough information to do it correctly anyway.

Remove ads