• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the moderation like here?

Henry

Autoexreginated
...Pursuing a personal fight. Obscenity. Not loving flumphs...

The only reason anyone would love flumphs is because they're obscene.*

Admin here. Henry has been banned for not loving flumphs. He's a bad, bad man and you should shun him. SHUN! -- Piratecat

*Example of poor behavior.

Even though it's the truth.

And a mod calling me out on it doesn't make it untrue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Piratecat said:
Admin here. Henry has been banned for not loving flumphs. He's a bad, bad man and you should shun him. SHUN! -- Piratecat

I'm shunning him right now, if you know what I mean. And I think you do.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Honestly, based on my experience and observations, the behavior that got you banned at that other site isn't going to fly here either, even more so in fact, if that helps to answer your question.

Good luck. B-)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Oh, one good thing about EN World you should also know - it's like getting a clean slate and a fresh start, at least as far as the mods are concerned. They don't go for cross board drama or hold your past actions at other sites against you. If you don't do it here, they won't have a problem here.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Finally, one more thing: you won't see as much permaban type moderation here as you do at that other site - it's more of the "leave this thread" type or "take a day off to cool down". Part of that is because EN World has a No Politics/No Religion rule. We also don't have a public "peanut gallery" open discussion whenever the mods take a punitive action, which helps a lot too.

Libramarian

Adventurer
To give a general idea, I've only seen 2 bannings in the 10/11 months I've been here, and those were outrageous posters who made an insult everyother thread, after multiple warnings. The mods are fair, and give everyone a couple of chances to learn the rules. On another site, myth-weavers, although I love their pbp, I've been there only half as long, and seen maybe a dozen bannings. I keep to myself in any case, but sometimes, the mods over there seem a bit petty.

Yeah that's probably the best barometer for me, simply how often people are banned. So that's good news.

Aggressive moderation policies have a strong tendency to become self-justifying I think. The tighter you mod, the thinner-skinned people get, and the more likely they are to be offended by something simply because they feel that's it unfair it didn't get moderator action when something else in the past did.

Thread bans are particularly annoying and childish, imo. They prevent you from returning to a thread and apologizing, so animosities fester.

Anyway thanks for the replies and welcomes all.

I really like the XP system for those one-liner "+1"s and "I agree"s.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Honestly, based on my experience and observations, the behavior that got you banned at that other site isn't going to fly here either, even more so in fact, if that helps to answer your question.

Good luck. B-)

Hmm.

Well.

I'm not incapable of adjusting my posting. What bothers me more is how surprising it was. If it's based on a pattern of behavior, then PM me and let me know what's going on. Before banhammering me into...the week after next week. This would also allow me to leave on my own terms, which would be nice. Instead of having to watch the peanut gallery, as you put it, talk about my ban.

I mean if somebody is surprised by a ban, then there was a communication problem. I am willing to do my part to communicate with the mods; I would think this thread displays that. In return I expect the mods to communicate with me.

We shall see how it goes. B-)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Well, you seem like a descent chap based on your participation in the non-D&D/d20 forum of that site, but I spend a lot more time there than I do in the D&D/d20 forum. That said, knowing that other board culture and their rules, the mod action wasn't surprising to me or out of the ordinary. Anyhow, it's a fresh start here, so my advice is just leave the baggage over there and don't bring it here, get a feel for EN World's board culture and rules, and jump right in. B-)

Remove ads