• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the worst character type to be an assassin-type? (other than paladins)

Emirikol

Adventurer
What's the worst class to be an assassin-type? (other than paladins)

I'm voting Gnome Bard. He's so weak...how's he gonna kill anyone?

[whistling] "I'm going to kill you...I'm going to kill you..I used to love you..now I have to kill you. i have to put you...six feet under..."

jh

Darklone

Most successful assassin in my games was a bard. The players nearly caught him at the beginning of the adventure... then they notices he's a bard and thought: Hey man, that guy can't be an assassin!

He used disguise improved with spells to get into the sleeping chambers of his victims and used a pick or greataxe for CDG. Works wonderfully. Especially if he was disguised as the town governor, a PC party member or the high priest of the towns biggest temple.

And he was able to sweettalk his way past any guard.

As assassins worst class, I vote cleric.

Solarious

Explorer
Blasphemy! Gnome Bards make the most potent of assasins! You simply wouldn't know that off hand because they like to subcontract their work. Defamation, framing, blackmail, lies, wordplay and mindgames... all these tools makes the Gnome Bard the most lethal assasin. Because if Shakespere taught us anything, we can always rely on human (or mortal, in DnD) stupidity to take care of things for us.

I'd say an Elan-type is the worst assasin-type. He's the kind of person who would warn the target he's going to try to assasinate him/her, and foil himself too while he's at it.

Corsair

First Post
Darklone said:
As assassins worst class, I vote cleric.

Not if you have the trickery domain.

Pretty much all the spellcasters can do it in their own way. Rangers ,rogues and monks have stealth skills.

Basically it comes down to the Fighter and Barbarian. Neither is good at stealth or guile. Both are at their best in stand up confrontations, not skulking about and trying to avoid getting caught. A barbarian with track could hunt someone down in the woods and then get away though, so I guess he's got that going for him.

So the answer: Fighter.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
From the core?

Fighter. Even more than paladin.

A paladin could conceivably serve in a pseudo-assassination 'strike at the head and the body dies' capacity. Riding into the heart of the enemy army on his celestial griffon or juvenile gold dragon mount, laying the smite down and then riding back with the head of his foeman, leaving the disorganized evil horde to rethink their evil ways.

The keys to assassination (I see this as meaning 'striking at an important figure directly rather than peripherally, ideally without having to deal with many/any mooks') are speed, stealth and striking power. You can lose one of the three and have a shot at pulling it off, but probably not two and definitely not all three.

Class By Class

Bard loses striking power but has both stealth and speed (via spells). He will have trouble setting up the kill against a powerful opponent; his best bet is probably enchantment followed by subtle poison, or seduction followed by coup de grace. However, a high level bard basically can't be caught or captured by humanoids unless they're extremely powerful, because of his enchantment and illusion abilities.

Barbarian loses stealth (sort of) but has speed (fast movement) and striking power (rage). He's not likely to one-shot a powerful foe, which is a Bad Thing, but he has a better than average chance to survive to get another shot. Nothing says barbarians have to be unsubtle; Conan, on whom the class is (very loosely) based, often snuck up on foes and killed them stealthily.

Cleric is entirely dependent on domains. Clerics can, however, do most anything with the right setup. Obviously a cleric with Healing and Protection is going to be rather poor at this, but one with Trickery and Travel will be quite effective.

Druid pulls it off easily, as with most roles. Wildshape into bird, infiltrate enemy fortress, wildshape into bear, lay down smack, wildshape into rat and creep away. Alternately, he can call lightning or summon nature's allies without ever revealing his location; absolutely brutal to defend against.

Monk has speed and stealth in spades, and can potentially get off a stun lock to make up for low damage. A stun lock *will* kill any single combatant that can't reliably break out of it in. Not to mention the ability of high level monks to kill with a touch, however unreliably.

Paladin loses stealth but has speed (special mount) and striking power (smite evil) in spades. He can strike down an evil foe in one blow if he blows all his power on that blow - and the best part is, if he discovers to his horror that he's been deceived and his target is not evil, he almost certainly won't kill him in the process.

Ranger has stealth, speed, and, since his favored enemy is almost guaranteed to be the type he assassinates, striking power. Like the monk he's ideally suited to traditional assassination.

Rogue is the obvious assassin class, but actually lacks speed compared to ranger (who can simulate it with a ride-able animal companion and/or entangle spells) or, obviously, monk. Sneak attack brings the pain, high skill points and Dex focus bring the stealth. A rogue has to slip in and out unseen to pull it off, though; he can't blitz and escape like, say, a paladin or barbarian 'assassin,' or certainly a druid.

Sorcerer, with the right spell selection, has everything he needs. Of course, a good assassin-sorc won't be a good blaster-sorc or adventurer-sorc, so he has to be dedicated to do it. Being a glass cannon doesn't matter much when you only need one shot, nor does going nova when you're completely proactive.

Wizard is like sorcerer, but with better spell selection and a slightly less devastating nova.

Fighter, though - fighter's got nothing to make him even a passable assassin. He generally can't one-shot a strong opponent because he doesn't have much in the way of limited use, high power attacks like spells, smites or sneak attacks. He can't outrun anyone because he's typically in heavy armor and even when not has no movement abilities. He can't sneak because he doesn't have the spells or skills to do it.

greywulf

First Post
The Assassin PrC.

All they have to do is ask what his class is, or check the character sheet. It's a dead giveaway. No subtlety at all.

A smart Assassin would be a Paladin who kills under a Letter of Marque from a rival nation. It's both lawful, and good, to kill your enemies, after all. Even if it's one by one. For money.

And no one would suspect someone with an Aura of Good, surely.

Paladins make great assassins :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads