D&D 5E What's your ideal product release schedule over the next few years?

Stormonu

Legend
I think WotC isn't likely to do that, with the DMsGUild on the scene and publishing as it is. Most of the big books are really frankensteins of smaller modules and supplements.
Hey, this is about what I want, not WotC!

But yeah - Candlekeep and Yawning portal are both basically a bunch of 32-page or less adventures crammed into one book, but there’s still some publishers pushing out module-sized books (such as Goodman’s DCC modules), so if done judiciously, I think it could work.

Last one I can think of being done was in 4th edition, each one covering a city (one for dwarves, one for tieflings, as I recall).

The Glen

Legend
What I would like to see for 2021 to 2025:

Lantan: March of the Modrons. Forgotten Realms-to-Planescape module anthology. Each module is set in a different outer plane.

Cormyr: They came from Wildspace! Forgotten Realms adventure based in Cormyr. Knights in shining armor versus neogi (alien snake-spiders).
Endgame takes place on a neogi battleship hiding among those asteroids orbiting Toril.

Mystara Player’s Guide. Glen Welch’s Mystara 5e book.
I am willing to move up the release date of the Player's Guide. Tomorrow would be great for example.

Mercurius

Legend
One book per year at most. Ideally none. If the designers want 5E to be evergreen, as they originally promised, then they need to stop publishing books. Leave it to the community to design new content.

Every published book brings 5E closer to its death.
That is simply not true. Adventures and settings are endless impossibility, and they are the bulk of what WotC publishes. They publish no more than one splat per year.

Evergreen-ness (or "evergreenity?") can be achieved through gradually evolving the rules. A ten-year cycle of:

Year one: core rulebooks
Years two to nine: adventures, settings, one splat per year
Year ten: revised core rulebooks incorporating rules additions, clarifications, and changes over the last decade.

Rinse and repeat.

Voila. Evergreen.

fba827

Adventurer
Maybe 3 a year...
a player options book
A dm oriented book with an adventure
The third would be a setting that’s used as the theme for the player options and dm book

Ok so talking money, business higher ups would likely want one big sale per quarter. So a forth book maybe an anthology book of short adventures.

But all that might not be good enough as it’s the player option book that has the biggest market audience and sales of dm oriented books are far smaller (you have more people playing PCs than DMs ; and then not all DMs would necessarily want a given adventure supplement if it doesn’t fit with what they want to run at the time)

So other stuff like accessories tied to those releases like dm screens and thematic dice and minis and battle maps.

Remove ads