Wheel of Time - No Spoilers

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I had not participated in this thread when the show first came out but a mention of the panel being canceled at San Diego Comic Con 2023 made me realize I had never discussed the show here.

My wife and I like it. It's not the books directly obviously, but I like what they've done for the most part. Looking forward to season 2, which apparently is already complete in terms of filming and they've been filming season 3 since April.

nevin

Hero
So far I'm giving it an A-. it only gets the minus becuase of the bad decisions to change the book and add nothing to the story. Like leaving most of the original group out of the outing into the blight, and a few other odd things. But hopefully as the story progresses those decisions will make sense. Overall sticking to the books far better than expected, and with how wordy and unfocused half of the series is I never really expected anyone to stick completely to it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I had not participated in this thread when the show first came out but a mention of the panel being canceled at San Diego Comic Con 2023 made me realize I had never discussed the show here.

My wife and I like it. It's not the books directly obviously, but I like what they've done for the most part. Looking forward to season 2, which apparently is already complete in terms of filming and they've been filming season 3 since April.
I was mixed on season 1. About 2/3 of their decisions to modify the books were brilliant. They cut characters that a show wouldn't have room for and still accomplished the goals of the book while retaining the feel of the book. The other 1/3 of the time I was floored at just how bad they bungled things. I liked it enough that I'm looking forward to season 2, though.

Gadget

Adventurer
I couldn't get through the first season. Very, Very, very pedestrian and cheesey. The writing was outright terrible; you could tell they threw the lore of the books out the window (no show could completely encapsulate a book series as large as the Wheel of Time) in the interest of modern "mystery box" writing that seems so prevalent these days, and it really doesn't work well.

Even taking out rating it as an adaptation, it is very mediocre as a stand alone fantasy series.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, I couldn't get through more than a few episodes. I've read a few of the books, but I'm not what you'd call a "fan" of them. Still, this show... it was close to being worth watching, but not quite.

Adeptus7

Villager
Read whole series. It had some very interesting concept (e.g. I loved Aiels history revelations), but characters were unlikeable and too often behaved in extremely stupid ways. Maybe I am heretic, but I liked more books written by Sanderson (which at least partially mitigated problems with characters).

Remove ads