Wheel of Time - No Spoilers

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Finished all three episodes. As a book reader I don't know how I feel about the changes yet.

I do dislike the costumes. At one point you see dudes walking around with puffy North Face jackets and brimmed mining hats. It's got a "elves with hoodies" MTV Shannara thing going on right now.
It just has an anachronistic feel overall to me. Some of the sets just don’t do it for me.

I don’t buy any of them as medieval peasants. I would prefer more grit?

but I am happy to have wizards and warriors ans monsters…I am watching with family so that is a plus. I will ignore these things and try to get into the story.

but not enjoying the aesthetics much

It just has an anachronistic feel overall to me. Some of the sets just don’t do it for me.

I don’t buy any of them as medieval peasants. I would prefer more grit?

but I am happy to have wizards and warriors ans monsters…I am watching with family so that is a plus. I will ignore these things and try to get into the story.

but not enjoying the aesthetics much
They aren't medieval. This is post-apocalyptic. The equivalent time frame that they've gotten back to is basically 18th century without gunpowder (other than fireworks), with such things as clocks and printed books being common. Think of them more of a prosperous US frontier town than a medieval peasant village.

Ryujin

Legend
They aren't medieval. This is post-apocalyptic. The equivalent time frame that they've gotten back to is basically 18th century without gunpowder (other than fireworks), with such things as clocks and printed books being common. Think of them more of a prosperous US frontier town than a medieval peasant village.
In the first episode there's a landscape that I would swear looks like decaying and overgrown towers froma large, modern city.

Stalker0

Legend
So my take, it was…fine. Not amazing, but enjoyable. It’s not GOT, and I think the issue is they are sacrificing character development for action.

that said, apparantely they spent 10 MILLION dollars an episode. Now for that money…no, this is not good quality.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh. I clearly wasn't paying attention during the opening exposition. Missed that fact completely!
They may have skipped that bit: that's pretty deep dive stuff in the books: the Age of Legends that ended 3000 years before this story was preceded by a nuclear war in "our world." many thousands of years prior.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They may have skipped that bit: that's pretty deep dive stuff in the books: the Age of Legends that ended 3000 years before this story was preceded by a nuclear war in "our world." many thousands of years prior.
Definitely don't recall anything about that.

Huh. I clearly wasn't paying attention during the opening exposition. Missed that fact completely!
There was, as another poster noted, a shot of overgrown skyscrapers near the start of the first episode. There's also an animated short on Amazon X-Ray that mentions just how advanced the Time of Legends was (for those that don't know, if you click on X-Ray during an episode, each episode has like a 3 - 5 minute animated short associated with each episode: Episode 1 had the Breaking of the World, Episode 2 had the Fall of Manetheren, and Episode 3 has one on Warders).

Just how advanced the world was previously hasn't really been focused on yet, but expect that to change as we get more in future episodes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases