Wheel of Time - No Spoilers

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
They aren't medieval. This is post-apocalyptic. The equivalent time frame that they've gotten back to is basically 18th century without gunpowder (other than fireworks), with such things as clocks and printed books being common. Think of them more of a prosperous US frontier town than a medieval peasant village.
Technically, yes. But not really? It's post apocalyptic in the same way that Dying Earth is.

The clothes are far too modern, post apocalypse or not, but it's modern fantasy, it's not really trying seriously to be historical, just to have a historical veneer.

It's no different than D&D characters wandering around with 20th century rucksacks, really.

Ryujin

Legend
The clothes are far too modern, post apocalypse or not, but it's modern fantasy, it's not really trying seriously to be historical, just to have a historical veneer.

It's no different than D&D characters wandering around with 20th century rucksacks, really.
Depending upon how pervasive magic is in a setting you can have anything from a virtually bog standard Medieval society, to the fantasy equivalent of Star Trek. Magic = Replicator.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Tomorrow I will make myself watch the second episode. So far it's just generic YA fantasy to me, which I find pretty bland, and I couldn't get into even the first book, but I'm determined to try.

Remove ads