D&D 5E Wheelchair options. Do these seem balanced?

MGibster

Legend
These "but that's not realistic" arguments always seem to completely miss the point of fantasy roleplaying. If people being able to fight well in wheelchairs is too much for your imagination, how are you gonna cope with dragons?
What exactly is the point of fantasy roleplaying? I view D&D as an adolescent power fantasy where I get to beat up the bad guys and nobody can tell me what to do. But I'm curious about what others might think.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
If you're looking for fighting examples in a wheelchair, check out Into the Badlands, where there is a bad ass fighter (Waldo) who is in one and they do multiple combats. That might give you some ideas for inspiration.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Love this thread.

Though I probably can't contribute much, I wanted to share one of my favorite gearheads, who built his ratrod in his garage after becoming paralyzed. He was featured in the Fastest Car series and beat a supercar and a Maloof custom. His car Lunchmoney is custom built and 100% hand operated. The second video shows an interview, the interior controls, and some burnouts at the end.

the Adventure team would like to honor our family member Corey Caouette. This young man built his Adventure from the ground up with his bare hands. Paralyzed from the waist down Corey let nothing stand in the way of building his dream. he is now featured on NETFLIX's Fastest Car. So we took all of our favorite Lunch Money highlights and put them into one nice Lunch Box. We Love You Corey.

Wheelchairs are ok at low levels, at higher levels they would be silly since by then the character probably has the money to pay for at-will levitation or synthetic limbs, or the shoes from Wicked, or some kind of magic walking stick that lets you get around even if your legs are completely paralysed

EDIT:
Retracted. It's been brought to my attention that I've neglected to consider that there are some magics that only work on vehicles. Additionally I've realized on my own that I neglected to consider that the solutions I've suggested don't work in antimagic fields.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Wheelchairs are ok at low levels, at higher levels they would be silly since by then the character probably has the money to pay for at-will levitation or synthetic limbs, or the shoes from Wicked, or some kind of magic walking stick that lets you get around even if your legs are completely paralysed
Or something more fun, like a wheelchair that leaves a trail of fire.
starryai-0-559739981-1-0-photo_1.png

Vaalingrade

Legend
Can we please just stop doing this?

Like for reasons constantly enumerated in the thread?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases