• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When building a new PC...

When building a character...

• I lean more towards option A

Votes: 58 31.2%
  • I lean more towards option B

Votes: 33 17.7%
  • I tend to be a mix of both options.

Votes: 83 44.6%
  • I am a special unique snowflake, and your pathetic options are too limited for me. (Other)

Votes: 12 6.5%

der_kluge

Adventurer
A) Are you more likely to start with a character idea, and then find classes, feats and prestige classes to best represent?

B) Or do you find a class or prestige class in the books and go "ooh, ooh! That looks cool! I want to play that!"

I'm not trying to disparage the second method. Both are valid. I'm just curious which one is more common.

This is a poll.

HugeOgre

First Post
I prefer A to the point of not really considering B unless Im doing some kind of research on how balanced it ultimately is. Some of my most memorable RPing experiences have been some random event or story arc that took my character is a new direction I never originally imagined. I still remember too the DM who gave my wife's sorceress an alienist level after she foolheartedly asked her incorporeal familiar (which communicated by showing it pictures in her head) what it had scene inside the alien artifact.

Darklone

A.

I see a lot of prestige classes here and there and I do think sometimes I want to try that... yet I never did. I always start to think about something funny and then I list the various options how to realise that char.

Rystil Arden

First Post
der_kluge said:
A) Are you more likely to start with a character idea, and then find classes, feats and prestige classes to best represent?

B) Or do you find a class or prestige class in the books and go "ooh, ooh! That looks cool! I want to play that!"

I'm not trying to disparage the second method. Both are valid. I'm just curious which one is more common.

This is a poll.
I'm A--but I do have moments of seeing a Prestige Class, Base Class, etc, and saying "Ooh, now I can play that character idea I came up with a while ago and never could work out exactly before now"

Seeten

First Post
I tend to start with a miniature or picture, and work from there.

Sometimes I start with a concept. I have made some concepts out of interesting classes, too, but normally I start with a picture, and then conceptualize from there.

Agamon

Adventurer
90% of the time, it's A. But when new classes and PrCs come out, I sometimes think, "That's cool, what kind of PC/NPC could I build around that?"

Remove ads