D&D 5E When Failure Isn't an Option in 5e

OptionalRule

Adventurer
I also agree with the broader point that--TPKs aside--there should be more things the PCs can try, at least for a while. Maybe they will fail to save the world, and that can still make for at least a somewhat satisfying story.

there should be. Even if a failure results in not saving the world, the campaign just shifts from a saving the world story, to a rescue and survival one. That's still a story.

nevin

Hero
But if the story DOESN'T go on, do you end that nights session and send the players home

there should be. Even if a failure results in not saving the world, the campaign just shifts from a saving the world story, to a rescue and survival one. That's still a story.
Or the story changes. maybe somebody else saves the world and the PC's suffer negative consequences, become considered failed hero's or get blamed for causing the problem and become wanted. Be creative.

Democratus

Adventurer
I'm not sure what "should always be able to move forward" is supposed to mean.

The characters should always be able to "move" (so long as they are alive). But the direction is entirely up to the circumstances and their decisions.

Failures, even hard failures, are critical to the appreciation and impact of successes.

TheSword

Legend
I don’t really like how Failing Forward has been changed by the rpg game industry. In games, it has been taken to mean succeeding in a different way, succeeding at a cost, or changing the narrative.

What Failing Forward means in the original business sense, was learning from your mistakes. I see a lot of players moving forward... I’m just not sure many learn from the failure.

For instance, the party come to a locked door. No one can pick the lock. Failing forward in game terms would be to break the door down and alert the dungeon denizens, precipitating a more difficult encounter.

True Failing Forward would be the party realizing they need someone trained to pick locks and take the appropriate action to resolve that deficiency. Whether that’s someone training for the proficiency, or buying a chime of opening, or the wizard learning knock.

I’d like to see more thwarting going on. Players don’t deal very well with being thwarted. It would build character... in both meanings of the word.

Remove ads