• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When lore and PC options collide…

Which is more important?

• Lore

• PC options

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Oh by the way, I choose PC options because only Good Lore justifies lose of PC options. Bad or Meh Lore only justifies adding replacement options.

You choose to limit us to Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling with only the classes available in the 1980? Congratulations. I expect your lore to be half as good as Tolkien, Gygax, and Arneson.

Also LORE is not the Same as THEME.

Oofta

Legend
Oh by the way, I choose PC options because only Good Lore justifies lose of PC options. Bad or Meh Lore only justifies adding replacement options.

You choose to limit us to Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling with only the classes available in the 1980? Congratulations. I expect your lore to be half as good as Tolkien, Gygax, and Arneson.

Also LORE is not the Same as THEME.

First, if I invite you to my game I'll tell you up front my approach. If it doesn't work for you that I don't allow anthropomorphic turtles that's too bad. Maybe we can get together and play Pandemic some time. I've put a lot of thought and time into my campaign, far more than you will put into creating a character. If you absolutely insist that you must play a Yuan-ti and nothing else, that's a red flag to me as a DM anyway. I guess I'm not the DM for you. If ask if you can play an Aasimar maybe we can talk. They'll look human but perhaps be a fallen valkyrie that's been stripped of all their power and much of their memory? Maybe we can we come up with an interesting story.

As far as lore not being theme ... not to get into semantics, but I think they go hand in hand. If I'm super excited about the Mythic Odyssey of Theros because I want an ancient Greece inspired fantasy campaign, dwarves are going to be out of place.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
First, if I invite you to my game I'll tell you up front my approach. If it doesn't work for you that I don't allow anthropomorphic turtles that's too bad. Maybe we can get together and play Pandemic some time. I've put a lot of thought and time into my campaign, far more than you will put into creating a character. If you absolutely insist that you must play a Yuan-ti and nothing else, that's a red flag to me as a DM anyway. I guess I'm not the DM for you. If ask if you can play an Aasimar maybe we can talk. They'll look human but perhaps be a fallen valkyrie that's been stripped of all their power and much of their memory? Maybe we can we come up with an interesting story.
You missing my point..

It really doesn't matter why I want to play a tortle artificer that is banned in your setting but I dont want to be a dwarf fighter that is allowed in your setting.

Lore isn't restrictions. Lore is lore.

Most players can find a PC concept within a good D&D setting that matches how they like to play or elements that excite them.

However if your lore restricts huge swathes of PC options, there is a good chance it is a bad D&D setting.

GRRM's ASOIAF is a great setting. It is a terrible D&D setting. It limits race to one option. Bans most classes. Favors a ability score array that is not balanced amongst classes. Has a clear heirachy in equipment and status. Lack enemy variety. And has no dungeons.

Lore should trump PC options because Lore should allow enough PC options for most players to find one they might enjoy.

As far as lore not being theme ... not to get into semantics, but I think they go hand in hand. If I'm super excited about the Mythic Odyssey of Theros because I want an ancient Greece inspired fantasy campaign, dwarves are going to be out of place.
It's not sematics. Theme is Theme. Lore is Lore. If someone wants to be a race or class out of the theme, there should be an option that captures the part of that class or race the player cares about.

That's the point. Themes don't often restrict as much as they alter.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
GRRM's ASOIAF is a great setting. It is a terrible D&D setting. It limits race to one option. Bans most classes. Favors a ability score array that is not balanced amongst classes. Has a clear heirachy in equipment and status. Lack enemy variety. And has no dungeons.
It has fighters, clerics, rogues, rangers, sorcerers, warlocks, druids, monks and barbarians. It might have paladins. It lacks formal wizards and bards, and might have paladins.

That setting has most classes, not bans most classes. It would make a fine D&D setting.

Incenjucar

Legend
Lore. I am big on letting people play whatever they paid to access, but unless there's a way to modify it to fit the lore of the game (and usually there is!) this creates an opportunity to try something new anyway. That said, I would very often just work with the player to reskin things. If there are no undead but lots of constructs perhaps they can be a constructomancer instead of a necromancer, etc.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It has fighters, clerics, rogues, rangers, sorcerers, warlocks, druids, monks and barbarians. It might paladins. It lacks formal wizards and bards, and might have paladins.

That setting has most classes, not bans most classes. It would make a fine D&D setting.
Depends on the era.

By the Time of the Targeryen invasion, all full casters would be absent and most half casters would be rare.

During the times of any of the books or shows, it would be human only, barbarian, fighter, monk, rogue. Only northerners and freefolk could be rangers. Only people from Essos.could be paladins and warlocks.

Plus... enemy variety would be very low and no dungeons.

ASOIAF would be a terrible D&D setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads