D&D 5E When lore and PC options collide…

Which is more important?

• Lore

• PC options

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think a more analogous example would be when playing Clue(do) that you insist on being Captain Ketchup rather than one of the pre-established characters. Clue(do) won't break by creating a character called Captain Ketchup for the game as an investigator and possible suspect.
But now you are imposing limits to fit the theme of the game (Captain Ketchup still follows the same format as Cluedo character names, Fenrix the half dragon space marine does not) which we have been told is the worst sin imaginable.

Aldarc

Legend
But now you are imposing limits to fit the theme of the game (Captain Ketchup still follows the same format as Cluedo character names, Fenrix the half dragon space marine does not) which we have been told is the worst sin imaginable.
I don't think that Fenrix the Half-Dragon Space Marine would break Clue(do).

Aldarc

Legend
Actually, any character who isn't a suspect breaks Cluedo - you can drag suspects around the house to interfere with their investigations.
Not a suspect? Dragging suspects around the house to interfere with investigations? Seriously? I feel like you are playing an absurd game of Calvin Ball with this scenario now. I don't think that having a character called Fenrix would break the game. If you are still playing this character according to the rules, putting them in the list of suspects and having them play as a character, then what actually breaks about the game?

Not a suspect? Dragging suspects around the house to interfere with investigations? Seriously?
It sounds like you don't know how to play the game properly. In order to suggest and eliminate a room, you need to be in that room. Preventing other players from reaching a room by dragging them around the board is the best way to make sure you win what would otherwise be a potluck game.
putting them in the list of suspects and having them play as a character
That would require making a card that was indistinguishable from the other cards.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Theme and Lore aren't the same thing though.

Colonel Mustard, Caption, Ketchup, or Corporal Relish are lore changes.

Adding combat or movement speeds is a theme change.

It sounds like you don't know how to play the game properly. In order to suggest and eliminate a room, you need to be in that room. Preventing other players from reaching a room by dragging them around the board is the best way to make sure you win what would otherwise be a potluck game.

That would require making a card that was indistinguishable from the other cards.

Fenrix = Mustard. Done.

Theme and Lore aren't the same thing though.

Colonel Mustard, Caption, Ketchup, or Corporal Relish are lore changes.

Adding combat or movement speeds is a theme change.
Not making it an Agatha Christie-esque English Country house murder is a theme change. And there are plenty of editions of Cluedo that have done just that. But when that happens all the characters change to fit the theme. Colonel Mustard does not appear in the Harry Potter edition.

Giving characters a movement speed would be a rule change, neither theme nor lore. I've seen that one house-ruled.

jasper

Rotten DM
Nah, I think this is a reach on your part, should we go cherry pick the lines that paint DM's as mustache twirling sadists?
Hey Scribe. I didn't know that was option. What mustache product do you get to get your mustache long enough to twirl? Or are you buying glue on stache? If so provide a link. Thanks.
Yes. Shirt, death dice, skully, and now a wicked mustache. I HAVE THE POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads